Replacement for Moog Voyager

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Solenoid

Replacement for Moog Voyager

Post by Solenoid » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:04 am

Hi,

It is currently quite challenging for us who live in Europe, to find a used Voyager in good condition / price. Which product do you think could replace the ballsy mono sound of the Voyager in the best possible way nowadays?

Do you believe that something like a "new Voyager" might be missing from the current Moog catalog?
The Matriarch is described as a paraphonic or a "polysynth substitute" :roll: in most online conversations, putting it on a different perspective. Almost all the demos of it make heavy use of its delay and semi modular capabilities in ambient textures, totally forgetting the monophonic synth aspect of it.

Should we look in other products or companies to find that Voyager punch, bass, warmth and flexibility? What is your opinion?

stiiiiiiive

Re: Replacement for Moog Voyager

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:22 am

Well, I would say: don't believe the online conversations and demos. If you want to use the Matriarch as a Voyager, it certainly will fulfill you expectations.
As far as sound, I haven't heard one but it seems it sounds as a Moog should sound.
On a side note, the Subsequent 37 is also a good candidate. It only lacks a third oscillator but the sub osc will suit some of the needs for the former.

Solenoid

Post by Solenoid » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:08 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:22 am Well, I would say: don't believe the online conversations and demos. If you want to use the Matriarch as a Voyager, it certainly will fulfill you expectations.
As far as sound, I haven't heard one but it seems it sounds as a Moog should sound.
On a side note, the Subsequent 37 is also a good candidate. It only lacks a third oscillator but the sub osc will suit some of the needs for the former.
Thank you for the suggestion.
The Sub37 sounds totally different IMO. I don't think it comes close to the creamy and warm tone of a Voyager. I'm guessing that the sound of a Matriarch is a lot closer, but it seems that the Moog options end there and that's the reason I'd like to read more opinions about it.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:17 pm

Was not sure whether you were talking mostly about sound, you are :)

About the Sub series, here is something interesting, I guess: their mixer is such as when the knob is after noon, it will start to distort. That means that keeping levels low leads to a different family of sounds, maybe closer to the Voyager's... and definitely, way less demo'ed on the internet.

That being said, I don't have a Sub to sell :D and I guess the Grand Mother and Matriarch will sound more like a V, just as you.

Anyone, get in!

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:28 pm

What about the MFB Dominion?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Solenoid

Post by Solenoid » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:55 pm

EricK wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:28 pm What about the MFB Dominion?
I had a Dominion 1. It can do many types of sounds but it also sounds very generic and not warm or organic. It's lot different compared to a Voyager.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:21 pm

The Voyager is a unique synth, maybe there isn't a suitable replacement.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:15 pm

Moog would do well if they released an updated analog mono synth with saveable patches like the Voyager, but grittier sound/mixer/filter based on the older gear everyone lusts after

they could basically re-use the voyager, but replace the boards, and give us true stereo filters similar to the matriarch. More memory, faster processor, and some new mappable features too; maybe even patch points?

one thing that bugs me about the Voyager is the jump when you move a knob from a preset value: the Minitaur has a firmware option to smooth this out. It's my understanding the Voyager is maxxed out & there is no room in the OS to include that? anyway that would be a welcome feature IMO