Model 15 and Animoog also half price?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
MollyJanet

Model 15 and Animoog also half price?

Post by MollyJanet » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:59 am

I actually dislike updating my ipad because of the many legacy-era sound apps on it (some stop working once you update) but Model D requires 10.3 or above - I'm on 10.1, so here I go jumping up to OS11.

I remember moog forcing my hand on updating to 10.1 originally, for the Model 15 app. Apple should pay them - they're the only app developer I'll update for!

But updating ipads is risky. You can lose a lot of function on apps you adore. I keep one other ipad around on OS9 just to keep a few great 32bit ones afloat and accessible.

zeno28

Re: Model 15 and Animoog also half price?

Post by zeno28 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:05 am

It was just purchased. I believe that an iPad Pro with an audio/midi interface would be far less expensive than any decent hardware at this time.

Is it possible to use an iOS device as a midi "module"? If so, how does it compare to your previous experience? In terms of moving away from the computer, I'm guessing it's still a step up from VST?

simoneraineop

Post by simoneraineop » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:11 am

MollyJanet wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:59 am I actually dislike updating my ipad because of the many legacy-era sound apps on it (some stop working once you update) but Model D requires 10.3 or above - I'm on 10.1, so here I go jumping up to OS11.

I remember moog forcing my hand on updating to 10.1 originally, for the Model 15 app. Apple should pay them - they're the only app developer I'll update for!

But updating ipads is risky. You can lose a lot of function on apps you adore. I keep one other ipad around on OS9 just to keep a few great 32bit ones afloat and accessible.
I understand your concerns about updating your iPad and potentially losing functionality on legacy-era sound apps. It's true that updating to a newer operating system can sometimes result in compatibility issues with older apps that haven't been updated by their developers.

It's a good strategy to keep a separate iPad with an older operating system to preserve access to those 32-bit apps that are no longer supported on newer iOS versions. This way, you can continue using those apps without any interruptions.

When updating your main iPad to a newer iOS version, it's always a good idea to check the compatibility of your essential apps beforehand. Visit the App Store or the developer's website to see if there are any known compatibility issues or if they have released updates to ensure compatibility with the newer iOS version. This can help you make an informed decision about whether to update your device.

Additionally, backing up your iPad before performing any updates is crucial. This way, if any issues arise during the update process, you can restore your device to its previous state.

Ultimately, it's a balance between accessing new features and improvements that come with the latest iOS version and maintaining compatibility with the apps you rely on. Consider researching and weighing the pros and cons before proceeding with the update to ensure a smooth transition without losing the functionality you value.

simoneraineop

Post by simoneraineop » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:13 am

zeno28 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:05 am It was just purchased. I believe that an iPad Pro with an audio/midi interface would be far less expensive than any decent hardware at this time.

Is it possible to use an iOS device as a midi "module"? If so, how does it compare to your previous experience? In terms of moving away from the computer, I'm guessing it's still a step up from VST?
Yes, it is absolutely possible to use an iOS device as a MIDI module. With the right apps and accessories, an iPad or iPhone can function as a powerful and portable MIDI sound source or controller.

There are several high-quality music production apps available on iOS that provide a wide range of virtual instruments and sound modules. These apps can be used to create music, play live performances, or even control external hardware synthesizers and software plugins.

In terms of functionality and sound quality, iOS music apps have come a long way and can offer a comparable experience to using VST plugins on a computer. The performance and capabilities of iOS devices have significantly improved over the years, allowing for complex audio processing and low-latency MIDI communication.

The advantage of using an iOS device as a MIDI module is its portability and convenience. You can take your iPad or iPhone with you anywhere and have access to a vast array of sounds and instruments without the need for a computer. It allows for more flexibility and creativity, whether you're performing live, producing music on the go, or simply experimenting with new ideas.

To use an iOS device as a MIDI module, you'll need a MIDI interface or a compatible audio/MIDI interface that can connect to your iPad or iPhone. This interface will allow you to connect external MIDI controllers, such as keyboards or drum pads, and route MIDI data to and from your iOS device.

Overall, using an iOS device as a MIDI module can be a cost-effective and versatile solution, especially when paired with a capable audio/MIDI interface. It provides a portable and self-contained music production setup that can be a step up from using VST plugins on a computer, offering greater mobility and flexibility in your music-making process.