Sub37 Sequencer music theory question

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Modular1

Sub37 Sequencer music theory question

Post by Modular1 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:58 pm

Hey. I just realised that the sub37 keyboard transposes the sequencer when its running but you can't set a scale to keep things diatonically correct.

If I want to write baseline patterns in the sequencer that can be transposed without going out of key is there a music theory based code to follow?

Root notes - Obviously ok as they fill follow the same note.
5th - Very common in bass guitar style baselines. Can you add 5th notes to your sequences without worrying about key?

What notes should you not add/not add to sequences if you want to make sure they will transpose within a chosen scale?

I would assume as a general rule you should program your sequences in C to make it apply properly to the Sub37 keyboard.

jcameron99

Re: Sub37 Sequencer music theory question

Post by jcameron99 » Wed May 19, 2021 10:58 pm

I'm kind of a newbie at this, but in my experience, it won't stay in the original key. Only the intervals and rhythm will remain the same.

Maybe you could tell me how to exit the programing section. I've had this thing for years and never touched the programing section. The other day, I pressed a button and I feel like it just went up in smoke. I'm stuck in programing and I can't get out.

When you play your sequence, do you have to hold a key down or can you take your hand off and let it play?

Modular1

Re: Sub37 Sequencer music theory question

Post by Modular1 » Thu May 20, 2021 7:50 am

Turn the pattern knob away from Rec mode. Add hold button to taste.

Regarding staying in key. Octaves are good and 5ths will stay in key for the best part in classic 1-5-6 classic major song progressions etc. I was hoping for a more educated answer from someone who has studied it.