Mg-1 search/death

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
joshbdork

Mg-1 search/death

Post by joshbdork » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:17 pm

I bought an Mg-1 from a garage sale the other day for 5$ and thought I had hit the jackpot. I brought it home plugged it in and nothing.....
So upon taking it apart I found a main board that had somehow been broken in half and then an attempt to sodder it back together. Its really just f'ed up inside, but beautiful on the outside. If anyone has any suggestions or has one that looks like crap or just one that doesn't work but isn't destroyed I would be interesting in hearing from you. The shell is really in mint condition, I just need some guts.
Thanks guys.

museslave

Post by museslave » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:35 am

Oh, wow... that's very sad! Everyone waits for that garge sale moment!

Makes you wonder how the owner managed to break the board without damaging the exterior!
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

joshbdork

Post by joshbdork » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:42 am

and from an outward appearence it looked perfect. all the knobs and sliders looked nicely intact and even moved smoothly. its like having a beautiful girl laying dead in your house....

industrial_gypsy

Post by industrial_gypsy » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:52 am

its like having a beautiful girl laying dead in your house....
Bizarre analogy.

It must be repairable, is just the PCB tracks that are butchered or components as well? If it is the tracks I suppose with a bit of patience, wire links could be soldered across each one?

I would have thought you're unlikely to find a donor PCB but who knows?

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:10 pm

joshbdork wrote:and from an outward appearence it looked perfect. all the knobs and sliders looked nicely intact and even moved smoothly. its like having a beautiful girl laying dead in your house....
so you're telling us it's arousing? i'm confused.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:13 pm

Its also like buying a beautiful dead girl at a garage sale for 5 bucks. I love garage sale finds! :shock:

....seriously, though. You still got a good find there. You could burn a Moog and piss on the ashes and it would still be worth a fortune. I say to eBay with it! Someone out there in the world would want it.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:46 pm

Yeah, I bet you could even sell it as "Moog MG-1 in Mint Condition" and then ramble on about how you can't test it, sold as is etc. Hehe, suckers! Whoops, did I say that out loud? ;) Don't try and sell it to Kevin Lightner, though.

Rogue

Re: Mg-1 search/death

Post by Rogue » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:30 pm

joshbdork wrote:The shell is really in mint condition, I just need some guts.
Thanks guys.
The butcher shop has some guts... :)

Seriously. That sucks that it ended up being dead inside. At least it was only a $5 venture. If nothing can be done for it, being that it's all wrecked internally, I'd be interested in buying it. I have a functional MG-1 with a semi-crummy exterior, missing all the original slider caps, one knob, etc.
[url=http://www.myspace.com/spceco][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/garbageboxlove/motion/star_pulse-1.gif[/img] [b]Shine on down...[/b][/url]

joshbdork

Re: Mg-1 search/death

Post by joshbdork » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:18 pm

latigid on wrote:Yeah, I bet you could even sell it as "Moog MG-1 in Mint Condition" and then ramble on about how you can't test it, sold as is etc. Hehe, suckers! Whoops, did I say that out loud? ;) Don't try and sell it to Kevin Lightner, though.
Haha I don't think I could ever do that. The bad karma would come around to bite me with the same exact thing happening to me.
Spike wrote:
joshbdork wrote:The shell is really in mint condition, I just need some guts.
Thanks guys.
The butcher shop has some guts... :)

Seriously. That sucks that it ended up being dead inside. At least it was only a $5 venture. If nothing can be done for it, being that it's all wrecked internally, I'd be interested in buying it. I have a functional MG-1 with a semi-crummy exterior, missing all the original slider caps, one knob, etc.
Hmmm I'll keep you in mind, but I'm really to somehow get a working mg-1 for myself. I had one about a year ago but sold it because a guy offered me a price I couldn't refuse. I bought that one for 75$ and just had to clean out the goup and do a little sodder work. I'm hoping that happens again.

and yes most of the componets are mangled as well.

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:12 pm

Part that Baby out!!!!

The Freq dividers, caps, keys and case are at least worth a hundred bucks

TheLustyGhost

Post by TheLustyGhost » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:53 am

Yeah, I saw one seller who had the end keys up for $25 each or so, and the rest of the keys around $10 each. If you managed to sell them all for that, that alone would be worth nearly the premium cost of a working MG-1 on ebay. It'd take a while, though.

joshbdork

Post by joshbdork » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:22 am

well i found one for 175 that needs a little work and the gunk cleaned out of it....we'll see how it goes kids

TheLustyGhost

Post by TheLustyGhost » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:49 pm

Part out the broken one and use the money for a fader/switch replacement set. I was hesitant to spend over $100 for a handful of faders and switches at first, but it's well worth it.

atkbg

Post by atkbg » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:04 pm

Definetly worth it.
I did it last night and it made the unit sound better not to mention actually playable.
Its really not hard and very rewarding in the end.

museslave

Post by museslave » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:42 pm

I just did some MG-1 archaeology and discovered the source of my Filter LFO fader problem... the one where it was intermittent and only seemed to work for half of its length?
Well, it appears that it is cracked about half way down... and it's loose because someone took the metal housing off to, I'm assuming, ascertain the source of the same problem. (which is to say that the seller likely knew it had a bad fader, but didn't tell me. I don't know why people think they can get away with that)
So, it needs to be replaced. I cleaned it, and it works a little better, but that housing is impossible to clasp on their tightly without unsoldering the fader... and if I could do that, I'd swap it with a fader that I use less and put off spending $90 for the new fader set... but, since I can't do that, chipsforbrains will be hearing from me soon. : )

:::goes to learn how to effectively solder::::
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic