Moderators - Moog Music User Profile Hacked?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
MC

Moderators - Moog Music User Profile Hacked?

Post by MC » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:46 pm

I received an email extortion scam claiming to have recorded me from my laptop cam while viewing p@rn websites and demanding $xxxx to make the incriminating cam video disappear.

I knew right away this was a scam because I don't view p@rn at all. Also this was a well known scam some years ago.

What got my attention was my Moog Music account password in the subject line. All of my passwords are unique including Moog Music so that told me right away that my account info was hacked. Does not smell like key logger malware 1) I'm always logged in the forum and don't sign in on every visit 2) I have seen only one scam email and none at all from other forums with my unique passwords 3) I abandoned Windows along time ago because of drive-by malware 4) I moved to OSX which is very hard for malware to get by 5) I'm very familiar with scams and am not easily fooled.

I changed my account password right away.

Others should be on the lookout.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

ummagumma

Re: Moderators - Moog Music User Profile Hacked?

Post by ummagumma » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:33 am

hmm could it have been some java sniffing thing from another website, if you have your passwords saved/cached in your browser?

thx for the warning!

MC

Post by MC » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:04 am

ummagumma wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:33 am hmm could it have been some java sniffing thing from another website, if you have your passwords saved/cached in your browser?
Running OSX/Safari and I never save passwords in the browser.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:40 pm

ah, this " I'm always logged in the forum and don't sign in on every visit "

appeared to me that you have the login/pw is saved in your browser, and don't need to sign in when you come here

which could be a security issue when you visit other sites, as java can run all kinds of remote code