How to record theremini in Logic Pro

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Sarkeys

How to record theremini in Logic Pro

Post by Sarkeys » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:08 pm

Hello,

I recently bought a theremini, and i'm trying to use it on Logic Pro X. I found out after some research that i can only use it as a midi controller. I'm not very familiar with all this stuff, so I have no clue how to even set it up as a midi controller. Few questions and problems below. (IN DIRE NEED OF HELP PLEASE :cry: )

Basically, i'm recording myself playing the handpan via mic, which is connected to Logic pro via Midi cable.

1. I would like to be able to play the theremini simultaneously with the handpan (somehow something similar to Merzerg https://www.facebook.com/Mezerg/videos/673513849782686/ ) but i have no idea how to do so. And i'm kind of a beginner when it comes to all the technical terms so please take it easy on me :D . I also don't have an external soundcard (but i guess that shouldn't be an issue with Logic on MacBook pro?)

2. If the above is not possible; how do i record the theremini in any way? I have a mini usb midi cable, and i have a regular jack that i connect through the iRig... (no idea what i'm getting myself into lol)

i could really use some help understanding all of this without heavy jargon. Appreciate anyone's support please

Scot Solida

Re: How to record theremini in Logic Pro

Post by Scot Solida » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:50 am

There is some confusion in your post - you say you're playing the handpan via mic, but connecting to Logic Pro with a MIDI cable? So you have a MIDI interface, but not an audio interface? (oh wait, I see now that you mention the iRig). MIDI cables don't work with audio signals, so maybe you mean an XLR cable? What microphone are you using?

Also, are you trying to record the Theremini's own sound, or do you actually want to use it as a MIDI controller? Contrary to what you think you have learned, it isn't just a MIDI controller and you can actually record its audio output via the iRig (though I believe that interface is designed for guitars). If you want to use its own sounds, you'll need a way to mix the mic'ed signal from the handpan, and the audio signal from the Theremini.

A microphone generally requires some gain from a pre-amp - how are you providing that?

You can do the things you want to do, but more information about your setup would make it easier to help figure out the best method.

Ideally, you'd want to use an interface with at least two audio inputs and if necessary, a mic pre-amp. These can be had for very little money these days. Logic will see its inputs and they will be available as audio and MIDI inputs that can be recorded onto tracks.