Memorymoog reset

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
DiscoE

Re: Memorymoog reset

Post by DiscoE » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:05 pm

Yeah I'm willing to try anything if it works.
let me know
Thanks!

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:08 pm

Ahh...it was in this very General Topics Forum:

viewtopic.php?p=173237#p173237

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:11 pm

And per the thread it was the RAM chips and not the EPROMS. So best to start with those.

DiscoE

Post by DiscoE » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:38 pm

Thank you Markyboard

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:14 pm

Disclaimer: I wouldn’t get your hopes up. This is a long shot but with not much else to go on it can’t hurt. Hopefully you get lucky like the linked thread’s OP. Also I don’t think there’s any reason to wrap the parts for more than a few minutes at best. Apologies for the ridiculous 24 hr suggestion.

DiscoE

Post by DiscoE » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:10 pm

Damn the Rom Chip aluminum foil didnt work. Any other suggestions?

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:53 pm

Unfortunately there are only a few “tricks” available for the DIYer unless they have an electronics background and the equipment to properly troubleshoot. II’ll let you know if anything else comes to mind.

alainhubert

Post by alainhubert » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:45 pm

DiscoE, as mentionned before, it could be any number of things. Logic gates, address decoders, etc etc...
At this point, only an experienced tech could possibly find the problem(s). And even then, perhaps not.

Anyway, I agree with Markyboard because, indeed, it sure looks like it goes beyond what can be done without specialized disagnosis/repair equipment and knowledge.

I feel for you, and I wish you good luck.

viper123

Post by viper123 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:39 am

I don't think about wrapping EEPROMs in aluminum foil, however a couple of years back I was taking a shot at another synth (supplanting console felt strip on a Korg DW8000) and had the synth securing on me for no obvious explanation. I found that the surrounding light gleaming on the EPROM chips was sufficiently able to make the synth crash, despite the fact that there was a white bit of tape over the chip window. Subsequent to putting a dark bit of electrical tape on top, everything returned to ordinary.

topazann

Post by topazann » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:31 pm

My Memorymoog choked today too when she got too many notes too fast. Boom full crash. Display out, all controls unresponsive.

Rebooted. Memory 1 is corrupted. All controls locked, except for key transpose. Absolutely nothing worked. Rebooting again, no fix.

Rebooted several more times, I start sweating, my heart was pounding so loud I can hear it in my ears. It was like the first day of prison, and bubba just gave you a smirk from down the hall.

After messing around with rebooting, I was able to see that I could send exactly one command before the machine locked up before the display said *MOOG*

In order to reboot the system faster than the switch, I pulled the AC cable out to point where rocking it would cycle the power. With this, I set forth on a quest of 200+ times of cycling the power trying to get "9, ENTER" hit before *MOOG* was displayed. Since that was the closest patch button to the enter button. I figured that was my best chance of getting to a working patch

I finally got it to work. I think you have about 100-200ms to press both buttons in order at the exact right time. It switched to 9, which was also corrupted (as were all the other patches) but did not lock the machine.