Favorite New Wave Band

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Greg_S

Favorite New Wave Band

Post by Greg_S » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:29 am

Just for the heck of it, what's everyone's favorite new wave band. for me its New Order.

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:42 am

At the moment, its Depeche Mode!

THM

Post by THM » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:31 am

I second that.
http://www.myspace.com/thmsynthfreak

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:20 pm

Incidentally, where can I find the original version of Temptation?

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:55 am

"...the new wave is bullshit." Claude Bessie. SLASH 80'

Even Tom Petty and Eddie Money(yikes!) was consider new wave at the time.

I'll say SCREAMERS for the sake of this topic, but you all want to hear something like DEVO right?

What is New Wave???

Kevin Bowden

Post by Kevin Bowden » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:18 pm

Is there possibly a "new" New Wave nowadays.

New Wave as per the accepted genre is 'old' now, along with the implementation instruments.

Can I hereby suggest a defininition of "Neu Wave" (only a suggestion) as 'old' New Wave style music but based upon the using of modern keyboard-controlled analogues.

No 'emulation' - but "in the spirit of....."

.....if people wish to go that route in their compositional offerings to the 'group'

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:31 pm

Well Kevin...

Then we also have a post post punk then too. Rapture Kaito Moving Units etc...

How bout Glass Candy and the Shattred Theater???

Kevin Bowden

Post by Kevin Bowden » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:34 pm

Sorry sir_dss - I think "post punk" has already been taken - we are in post post punk now (whoops, as you suggested :)).

Can you appreciate where I'm coming from though ?

In my opinion you can now create music of a 'style' that existed during, and was an intrinsic part of, a particular time in history - but the time for that exact genre has passed. The complementary socio-economic conditions, which can be seen to have a bearing on the support, development and acceptance of a particular "style", are no longer in place.

I believe that music "styles" have their time as such. Yeah, you can have revivals - but you'd never get away with disco, big band or new romantic as new and emerging style concepts now.

Just my opinion !

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:44 pm

Yeah...I see what you're sayin. Music styles that were brought forth because people were poor, marginalized, unheard, desprate, etc...can't happen again. Those styles now can just be seen as entertainment. Like what "Happy Days" was and now the That 70's Show. We laughed at the punks on CHIPS and some day soon we'll laugh when when we see some guy on TV dressed up like Adam Ant. It kinda sucks because there were GOOD things about any sort of art/style/fasion movement. And at the same time the really good things will be overlooked. Thats why I stand up for the SCREAMERS!!!

In Americia, in the true underground there was a term floating around a couple years ago, "Now Wave" it was hated by lots of band people for the obvious reasons. It was describing this new sort of aggressive art rocker, freaked out, hyper structured form, that bands such as Locust, Lighting Bolt, Erase Erratta, Orthrelm, Get Hustle, and others were exploring. It also extended to bands such as Melt Bananna, and Fantomas who had been doing this sort of thing for a while. (meanwhile the record companys were trying to tell everyone that they should buy the Strokes, White Stripes, and Yeah Yeah Yeahs(the latter two I do like)).

All of those bands that were lumped together sounded drasticly diffrent too.
I haven't given up on people making true new music, I'm speaking as far as bands go. In electronic music that seems to have become a bit more passe(as far as the press is concerned) Things like Autechre's _Gantz_Graf blow me away...

Kelly

Re: Favorite New Wave Band

Post by Kelly » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:57 am

Greg_S wrote:Just for the heck of it, what's everyone's favorite new wave band. for me its New Order.
fisherspooner. Seems like revivals in any form draw a collective groan, but hey, I like their tunes! They make fun of themselves as well, which is funny. .. . . . hyp-hyper mediocrity-y-y-y-y-y . .. .

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:37 am

Fisherspooner...

But I thought they were Electroclash???

:wink:

Headphones

Post by Headphones » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:49 am

I'm a Style Council fan, but it's interesting they weren't really going after the new wave sound of their 80's contemporaries, yet still somehow fit the format. "Long Hot Summer" was a good example, with just a drum machine, DX7 for the bassline, rhodes piano, and alot of soul. Sounded nothing like The Jam (Paul Weller's previous group), but that was the point! However, it did alienate much of his punk/mod fanbase.

jamezdd73

Re:

Post by jamezdd73 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:54 am

Boeing 737-400 wrote:Incidentally, where can I find the original version of Temptation?
Rummaging through record stores, or it's on the New Order Boxset, "Retro" (I assume you mean the original 8 minute version)
Little Phatty Stage II #3602, MoogerFooger CP-251 #1785
MF-103 12 Stage Phaser #6093, MF-104m Analog Delay #0301
--
My band: www.facebook.com/InstantMorning

museslave

Post by museslave » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:39 am

First of all "post-punk" is bullshit.
New Wave was New Wave at the time it was New Wave, and it was wholly irrespective of Punk.
None of the subgenres which are now applied to various examples of New Wave existed at the time when New Wave was New Wave.
In America, at least. :)
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

CRJ

Post by CRJ » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:14 am

what is gary numan?

i cant stop listening to pleasure principle. love it!