Minimoog Squirrelly Keys!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
mattjhuber

Minimoog Squirrelly Keys!

Post by mattjhuber » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:03 pm

Hello all! I have a Minimoog (original, not reissue).

I just replaced the key bushings, and after putting it all back together, I'm getting the following issue:

https://youtu.be/nW0HSsaV3UU

I am losing my mind over it, and would love any guidance on how to address it. I already looked through all of the key contacts, and there is nothing shorting out against the buss bar or the pitch bar.

Any ideas? Thanks so much!

electrojoe

Re: Minimoog Squirrelly Keys!

Post by electrojoe » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:52 pm

I would check your cinch Jones keyboard connector. Those things can get squirrelly when you take them apart and put them back together if they're not clean.

alainhubert

Re: Minimoog Squirrelly Keys!

Post by alainhubert » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:36 am

When I got my vintage 1975 Minimoog D it was suffering from a bad case of the drifting pitch, and squirrelly keys. I tried to clean all the coil springs and buss bars, but they were oxidized beyond repair after the synth was improperly stored in a damp place for 20 years by the previous owner.

So I had heard of a modern optical (no mechanical contacts)replacement created by a great tech called Kevin Lightner at the time and ordered it. It's called the Opto-Key. It wasn't cheap, but was worth every penny. That was back in 2011 and my Mini has been trouble free since then.

Sadly Kevin has passed away some years ago, but not before another great tech had taken on the project. His name is Chris Hewitt and he has a web site where this system is still available, in case you want to get rid of all the potential problems that a vintage Minimoog D keyboard can develop over time.

You can have a look at his web page, and if you're interested just email Chris.
http://www.thisoldsynth.com/Optokey.html