If you had the oportunity to choose...Which one...(Moog)

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

Moog LP or Mogg RME?

Moog RME
67%
Moog LP
No votes
Moog LP with CP-251
33%

Total votes: 9

pureoldsound

If you had the oportunity to choose...Which one...(Moog)

Post by pureoldsound » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:40 pm

am in between 2 synths actually 3 but one I can manage for now but will hate using my OB-Xa to control it.

I like the Moog LP but I am not sure if it will get into serious Moog bass line and leads (this included the Mini D and the voyager). I may be able to pickup a Moog RME (voyager rack) or the LP.

Things that drive me away from the rack and voyager as a whole is:

I'll need a controller
It has been discussed numerous times and no, it does not sound like the D.
It may be a tad brighter sounding than the D, but cleaner and refine.
I think it may have too many features for what I want.
No overdrive....

The LP:

I don't know...too early for any real comparisons as many are still in the honeymoon phase.
My concern is the bass. I know the voyager has 3 Osc but OSC 3 you may end up using it as a LFO so you'll end up with 2 OSC.
The LP supposedly has the same OSC as the Voyager only 1 LFO. However with the CP-251 you can get another plus S/H and the other features.

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:20 pm

You could use an Oxygen 8 to control the RME for cheap off Ebay. The RME is a much more substantial synth besides the oscillators. You can also find a 251 on ebay for cheap. I got one 3 weeks ago for $162.00. Nothing against the LP, but the LP is a scaled down Voyager in essence so if you have a choice, get the big boy.

pureoldsound

Post by pureoldsound » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:21 pm

Lengai wrote:You could use an Oxygen 8 to control the RME for cheap off Ebay. The RME is a much more substantial synth besides the oscillators. You can also find a 251 on ebay for cheap. I got one 3 weeks ago for $162.00. Nothing against the LP, but the LP is a scaled down Voyager in essence so if you have a choice, get the big boy.
Thanks for the comment...What would be a good midi controler but not just 2 octave. More like the real thing with Aftertouch?

Keith collins

Post by Keith collins » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:31 pm

i don't have experience with any of the keyboards on the survey perse, but if it was me i'd much rather have the voyager, even if it was a rack version... besides, i actually prefer my midi controller to the actually keys of the prodigy.

sure the voyager has lot's of options, but isn't that a good thing?
Prodigy336A ::: Opus 3 ::: Big Briar Theremin ::: MF-102 ::: MF-105 ::: CP-251 ::: MPC1000

pureoldsound

Post by pureoldsound » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:34 pm

Keith collins wrote:i don't have experience with any of the keyboards on the survey perse, but if it was me i'd much rather have the voyager, even if it was a rack version... besides, i actually prefer my midi controller to the actually keys of the prodigy.

sure the voyager has lot's of options, but isn't that a good thing?
Which midi controller do you own?

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:15 pm

I haven't played one yet, but I'm guessing that the RAC on the Little Phatty is going to give it an edge up on the Voyager as far as performance control is concerned. I've had a number of polysynths where the sliders are digitally controlling the parameters, rather than poteniometers directly controlling parameters, and I don't like the way they feel at all.
The Voyager controls are, of course, much smoother than those on an 80s polysynth, but they don't exactly feel like a pot either.
So, this being something that matters to me, I could see someone prefering the LP to the Voyager as a straight forward performative analog.

But, the one thing, to me, that makes the Voyager the coolest synth ever are the break-out boxes for CV ins and CV outs. A RME with both CV boxes is pretty much a modular synth. This was the one thing, left off the LP, that I really wanted. Break-out boxes.

Keith collins

Post by Keith collins » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:08 pm

[/quote]

Which midi controller do you own?[/quote]

i just have the oxygen8. i guess my reasoning is specific to my prodigy though... i can switch octaves a lot easier on the midi controller(and it doesn't go out of tune), and there have been times when my prodigy's keyboard doesn't feel like performing correctly where i never have to worry about the key contacts on my midi controller.

so i suppose if you're buying a new synth you shouldn't have to worry about that stuff... just saying working with a midi controller and a rack voyager aint such a bad way to go.
Prodigy336A ::: Opus 3 ::: Big Briar Theremin ::: MF-102 ::: MF-105 ::: CP-251 ::: MPC1000

cheveux.boucles

Post by cheveux.boucles » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:06 pm

But, the one thing, to me, that makes the Voyager the coolest synth ever are the break-out boxes for CV ins and CV outs. A RME with both CV boxes is pretty much a modular synth. This was the one thing, left off the LP, that I really wanted. Break-out boxes.
i agree, there are so many sound capabilities that were lost when moog decided not to make the lp have add-on cv control boxes...
Moog LP TE

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:32 am

pinkfloydian wrote:
i agree, there are so many sound capabilities that were lost when moog decided not to make the lp have add-on cv control boxes...
ditto that. i almost wonder though if maybe, just maybe they are hiding something in the midi spec of the LP that would allow it to interface with a VX-type unit. Obviously midi is only going to run digital data, so the external unit would have to have a converter of some sort built into it, but hey ya never know!
www.ctrlshft.com

pureoldsound

Post by pureoldsound » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:23 pm

Thanks Everyone..I am going to get the RME...all I need is a controller for the RME. Any more suggestions for the controller???

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:23 am

CTRLSHFT wrote: i almost wonder though if maybe, just maybe they are hiding something in the midi spec of the LP that would allow it to interface with a VX-type unit. Obviously midi is only going to run digital data, so the external unit would have to have a converter of some sort built into it, but hey ya never know!
A Midi/CV box will convert the LP's Midi commands into control voltages, but it's not really the same thing as having direct access to the CVs. Unfortunately.

I was just hoping that maybe on the unused right side wood panel they could have put a multi-pin connector (like the voyager's) so that the LP could connect to a break out box.

Whatever, it's still a great little synth. I'm glad they implemented some CV control, and I'm looking forward to seeing the "performance" edition LP.

But I thought it would be cool to have a completely interactive "Moogerfooger" monosynth without all the digital memory and circuits. Maybe that ones still comming...

opus3 sonic 6

Post by opus3 sonic 6 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:21 am

I've just heard the news
that Arturia will recreate  (the source) from moog . and produce a
virtual synth called (the source v) . Plus there would be a scale
replica of the source  produced thru  the  good friends at moog
.This  will function as a keyboard workstaion much like the KORG legacy
bundle and like the  Creamware minimax abs , but one has keys. The vst
is mostly used for recording and creating new presets , you can then
import  the presets into the programs menu (orange buttons) on the
scale replica of the source , so you can play live with it and not have
to kart that pc around .  it will have 2 firewire ports , 2 midi , 1
(1/4'' ) input and 1 (1/4'') output , with a dc 9v power adapter . this
will have all the great phat tones  as the original.

THE SOURCE Vhttp://moogmusic.com/index.html

???

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:35 am

i think there should be another option
LP plus all the leftover money that you would have spent on the RME on foogers
LP + 104z + cp251 would be very cool combo that could do a lot that a voyager couldn't

a stage edition + cp251 + 104z + 102 should cost around $2387 as opposed to the RME $2395. to me it's a no brainer, sure the extra ins and outs will give you more options on the RME but have to dish out an extra $558 for that anyway (which could be spent on a 103, murf midi-CV or seq) and an LP+multiple fooger combo would out-do a voyager anyday IMO

that thing about the source is nuts, looks like there's gonna be a bitch fight between the digital ghost of the old source and the analog reincarnated new source that is the LP!

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:25 am

eric coleridge wrote:
CTRLSHFT wrote: i almost wonder though if maybe, just maybe they are hiding something in the midi spec of the LP that would allow it to interface with a VX-type unit. Obviously midi is only going to run digital data, so the external unit would have to have a converter of some sort built into it, but hey ya never know!
A Midi/CV box will convert the LP's Midi commands into control voltages, but it's not really the same thing as having direct access to the CVs. Unfortunately.

I was just hoping that maybe on the unused right side wood panel they could have put a multi-pin connector (like the voyager's) so that the LP could connect to a break out box.

Whatever, it's still a great little synth. I'm glad they implemented some CV control, and I'm looking forward to seeing the "performance" edition LP.

But I thought it would be cool to have a completely interactive "Moogerfooger" monosynth without all the digital memory and circuits. Maybe that ones still comming...
yeah, it'd definitely not be the same if all you were doing in the end is hashing CC's when it all came down to interfacing with the LP.

i'm absolutely FIENDING for a osc/env gen/amp moogerfooger to hit the ground running soon. it wouldd seriously make the entire moogerfooger line a more viable product. they could offer 3-in-1 rack deals like they do with the 101/102/103, cept instead do maybe "106"/101/102. instant modular synth, tons of capability! guitarists/bassists would love having a brand new analog guitar/bass synth at their disposal. synth and modular enthusiasts would flip out for it. i know i'd be all over that, and in multiple orders.

really there's no reason why this idea shouldn't be the next move for moog. just one guy's opinion, but really.. i think this would be a bridging moment for moog. While still keeping them safe out of financial harm's way with the risky marketing of modulars, this unit would be independent, yet able to become a part of a modular synthesizer. huge! way cooler than than a .com!

moogerfoogers are a lot like transformers. :P
www.ctrlshft.com

slowdive

Post by slowdive » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:49 am

i'm absolutely FIENDING for a osc/env gen/amp moogerfooger to hit the ground running soon. it wouldd seriously make the entire moogerfooger line a more viable product.

moogerfoogers are a lot like transformers. :P
I actually had an email exhange with Mike Adams about the pedals Bob designed in the 70s for Maestro. They look like wedges, but sound fantastic. There was a fuzz pedal in the line, the MFZ fuzz. I own one and it sounds absolutely brutal with the Voyager. He remarked that they might need to borrow mine at some point. I think it would be really cool to have a fuzz/overdrive mooger, particularly if it was based on Bob's previous design. Apparently Bob had mentioned something about this fuzz to Mike once. It would be amazing to see this get implimented. There was another pedal in the series called the Fuzztain, which I believe had some kind of sustainer built in. Anyway, just something to consider. It probably won't happen but you never know!
Voyager Electric Blue, Dave Smith Polyevolver