operating analog CV instruments using VST / other software

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
hagai99

operating analog CV instruments using VST / other software

Post by hagai99 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:26 am

Hi,

I'm using several analog synths and effects like korg ms-10, mooger-fooger ring modulator and so on...

These instruments know how to work with CV signals.
The only way I know how to operate those CV is using other CV instruments like other analog effects, the CP-251 (moog) if anyone knows and so on...

The problems is that i don't know how to create those CV signals from cubase or any other sequencer or VST, for example - I want to create a sine-wave which is synchronized with my BPM in cubase and send it to my analog phaser, or I want to send other CV signals to the KORG (to play it).

I know that there is a MIDI-CV converted, but is there a way or a VST that know how to create CV signals???

thanks in advance,
Hagai.

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:58 pm

Not without the CV/MIDI converter (Kenton). The computer outputs digital info, not CVs so you can't just run it from a computer.

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:32 am

I've read on the creamware forum of people who have done this using the creamware modular to create a modulating signal, run this signal out of one of their audio outs through a preamp and on to their modulars, so it is definitely possible. And a guy modified his nord g2x to do this, too:

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-12266.html

I don't know of any vst that can do this, though.

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:17 am

I just came across this page for a PC printer port to CV convertor and remembered your thread this Moog Forum:

http://www.uni-bonn.de/~uzs159/index.html

then click on "Midi/CV" on the left.

It looks to be a pretty simple DIY project (just a couple ICs, resistors, capacitors) for extracting Cv signals directly from a Windows based PC MIDI. All you need is a printer port!

It's pretty expandable (up to 80 cv outs) and looks about as simple as a DIY circuit could be (for those who are not soldering iron experienced).

I unfortunately use a Mac, or I think I'd love to try it myself. But maybe it can be helpful.

I think I'll post this under a new thread also.