Question about heat resistance

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Rabalder

Question about heat resistance

Post by Rabalder » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:08 pm

I have a moogerfooger (mf101) standing on top of an RME audio interface which gets REALLY hot.. Is this a bad idea, or is the mf-electronics robust enough? All my gear is packed inside a live-performance-case, so I need all the space I can get.

I might replace the metal plate underneath the moogerfooger with a a plastic plate that isolates heat better. But Im not sure if its necessary.

Anyone??

MC

Re: Question about heat resistance

Post by MC » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:49 am

Excess heat is not good for any electronics.

Plastic will be worse. It will melt.

The best approach is either find a way to draw the heat away or replace the audio interface with one that isn't as hot. Frankly that RME is on borrowed time.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:53 pm

The RME is more in danger than the pedal on top of it.
Can you take it out of the case when in use ?

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:17 am

Thanks for your replies.
Yeah, I figured the RME would be the loser in this battle. After some clever reorganizing I made room for it to breath.
I had to evolve my Tetris-way-of-thinking to include three dimensions. Been cutting foam like crazy. Good stuff :wink: