UK Theremin - How come it isn't a Moog?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
corkyburger

UK Theremin - How come it isn't a Moog?

Post by corkyburger » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:15 pm

I was a very lucky guy this christmas. my wife got me the Moog calender, Moog Hoodie and to top it all off a theremin.

As you can imagine i was very very pleased but a bit confused that the Theremin didn't have the MOOG logo anywhere on it. Is this due to the problems with the ownership of the Moog name in the UK?

Regardless of this i am still ecstatic with my Theremin. Thankyou to all at Moog Music.

CB

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:33 pm

Before someone answers this, I would like to ask why the official UK imports have the Moog logo removed.

MC

Post by MC » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:37 am

There's a chap in the UK named Alex Winter who is hoarding the Moog trademark yet isn't producing anything using the trademark. Mr. Winter refuses to be reasonable and it is too soon to legally challenge his ownership of the trademark in the UK, so UK imports from Dr. Bob must have the Moog logo removed from the product, the manual, the packing material, everything.

Quite the inconvenience. Perhaps someone on the other side of the pond could loan Mr. Winter a few brain cells.

THM

Post by THM » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:03 am

MC wrote:There's a chap in the UK named Alex Winter who is hoarding the Moog trademark yet isn't producing anything using the trademark. Mr. Winter refuses to be reasonable and it is too soon to legally challenge his ownership of the trademark in the UK, so UK imports from Dr. Bob must have the Moog logo removed from the product, the manual, the packing material, everything.

Quite the inconvenience. Perhaps someone on the other side of the pond could loan Mr. Winter a few brain cells.
Are you serious ? Well I'm rather a very peaceful man but things like this make me mad like hell. I can't understand that people can act like that (definitely when they're doing nothing with the name; if he was producing this or that product for 10 yrs already then I'd call it reasonable). :x
http://www.myspace.com/thmsynthfreak

StefanH

Post by StefanH » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:54 am

I believe he waits for a lot of money!
He want that Bob is buying his name back.
Stefan

ELPNeil

MOOG name in the UK.

Post by ELPNeil » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:06 pm

It is very frustrating that the Moog Music logo has to be removed over here in the UK although they can use Bob Moogs name on products and that is how they got around selling the Voyager.
UK purchased Voyagers arrive with all the logos intact but the UK agent has to remove every sign of this including painting out the name on internal circuit cards.Even the gig bag that came with the limited edition ones had the front pouch which can hold power leads etc has to be ripped off.
When I purchased my Voyager I can tell you it did not come from the UK.
I hope soon this crazy problem will get sorted!!!!

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:16 pm

It is stupid. I would never buy a Moog without the Moog logo on. Is it illegal to own one of these, as my Voyager has all Moog logos intact?

I also hope this problem is sorted out. If I was to buy one from ebay, who will remove the logo?

MC

Post by MC » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:58 pm

It is stupid. I would never buy a Moog without the Moog logo on. Is it illegal to own one of these, as my Voyager has all Moog logos intact?

I also hope this problem is sorted out. If I was to buy one from ebay, who will remove the logo?
It is not illegal to own a "Moog" branded synth in the UK.

Because Alex Winter owns the trademark, it is illegal to SELL RETAIL IN THE UK any product bearing the Moog logo without his permission.

If you buy a Moog product anywhere besides the UK retail market, the trademark does not apply. Buy one from ebay and you're safe, ebay is not a retail seller.