Shipping & receiving in hot weather - any concerns?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Hillbillypolack

Shipping & receiving in hot weather - any concerns?

Post by Hillbillypolack » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:59 pm

I was curious if anyone has had any issues with their gear (synths, pedals, modulars) when shipping during summer months.

I tend to be reeeeealy OCD, and try to pick up the equipment at the delivery hub in the mornings. Though I know if an item is shipped, it's going to spend some time in a freight truck (could be hot or cold), possibly in a local delivery vehicle (which could become an oven and hotter than ambient temperatures).

Reason I'm asking is that I received a 'Fooger in this 95 degree heat and it smelled electronic-y / hot. Seems to be working normally but the nose test tells me it could have gotten on the hot side. . . .

MC

Re: Shipping & receiving in hot weather - any concerns?

Post by MC » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:27 pm

Rest up, chicken little. The sky is not falling.

Electronic components are designed for a storage temperature, which is hotter than you'll ever see.

Operating temperature however is lower. Just let your gear cool down in your dwelling before you power up, and you'll be fine.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Hillbillypolack

Re: Shipping & receiving in hot weather - any concerns?

Post by Hillbillypolack » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:18 pm

MC wrote:Rest up, chicken little. The sky is not falling.

Electronic components are designed for a storage temperature, which is hotter than you'll ever see.

Operating temperature however is lower. Just let your gear cool down in your dwelling before you power up, and you'll be fine.
Thanks. That was what I thought - more or less. I would equate it to leaving something in a hot car for an afternoon.

I'm used to the panic-induced concern that comes from shipping acoustic guitars and nitrocellulose paint finishes.

I am guessing the 'aroma' I was smelling is the circuit boards and not the innards turning to melted analog goo. I should know all this, we do heat testing at the OEM I work for anyway. (kicks self in backside).