New member, old Moog user

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Scot Solida

New member, old Moog user

Post by Scot Solida » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:41 pm

I wonder why I've not joined here before? A Moog (Rogue) was my first proper synth back in '81 and I've owned scads of 'em since, including another Rogue, a Source, a Micromoog, an Opus 3, Polymoog, and a couple of Foogers. I've currently got a restored Model D, Theremin, and a Grandmother on the way and have decided to put some pennies away to buy a modular reissue in the near future, assuming one is available when I can sensibly afford to do so (quite a lot of pennies, actually) .

I see a number of familiar pseudonyms around here... :wink:

GregAE

Re: New member, old Moog user

Post by GregAE » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:39 am

Hi Scot, and welcome to our little club! I recognize your name from other forums I frequent.

Regarding your gear (past & present), I'd have to say that too many Moogs are just enough! :D

Scot Solida

Post by Scot Solida » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:08 am

Thanks GregAE. I recognized your handle, too. I am (anxiously) looking forward to the latest Moogli addition to my room. I could use a bit more color in here.

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:33 am

Rogue was my first synth also. Loved it , but I bought a MIDI to cv interface to sequence it that never quite worked properly. I didn’t have much knowledge at the time (and it was pre internet days) so I swapped it for a multi effects proccessor, thinking I just didn't know what I was doing. About a year later a friend who worked in the store where I traded in the Rogue told me no one could get the midi to cv converter working .
Was a bit gutted I hadn’t kept the Rogue and returned he MIDI/cv interface, but hey ho. I have better Moogs now.

Scot Solida

Post by Scot Solida » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:39 am

Funny, I had the same problem with my second (or third?) Rogue. Never did get that MIDI interface going with it. Eventually, it gave up the ghost. I have it's innards still, and intend to get 'em working and put them behind an 8-space panel in my Synthesizers.com system. I have a sentimental attachment to The Rogue.

Hillbillypolack

Post by Hillbillypolack » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:07 pm

Welcome, Scott. New guy here too!

Scot Solida

Post by Scot Solida » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:46 am

Hi and welcome to you too Hillbillypolack.

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:11 am

Scot Solida wrote:Funny, I had the same problem with my second (or third?) Rogue. Never did get that MIDI interface going with it. Eventually, it gave up the ghost.
That’s interesting. Makes me think it might have been a common the problem and the MIDI to cv converter could have been ok after all.
Scot Solida wrote: I have it's innards still, and intend to get 'em working and put them behind an 8-space panel in my Synthesizers.com system. .
Wow, great idea !!!

Scot Solida

Post by Scot Solida » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:22 am

Acid Mitch wrote:
Scot Solida wrote:Funny, I had the same problem with my second (or third?) Rogue. Never did get that MIDI interface going with it. Eventually, it gave up the ghost.
That’s interesting. Makes me think it might have been a common the problem and the MIDI to cv converter could have been ok after all./quote]

More likely, it was my own ineptitude. It was long before I had much experience with electronics. I was using a long-since-abandoned MIDI interface kit that never really worked for me in anything - I don't know if that was due to my own inadequacies or that of the MIDI kit. (Nowadays, when I can get them, I use MIDImplant boards. Great little MIDI interface pcb)

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:40 pm

Scott,
Welcome to the forum! I just happened upon your VCS3 meets Elektron Digitakt and Analog Keys video. Amazing work!

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Scot Solida

Post by Scot Solida » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:37 pm

EricK wrote:Scott,
Welcome to the forum! I just happened upon your VCS3 meets Elektron Digitakt and Analog Keys video. Amazing work!

Eric
Thanks Eric!