Rack 'Em Up!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Joscuzz

Rack 'Em Up!

Post by Joscuzz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:23 am

Over the last few weeks, and having listened to the advice of fellow forum members, I have picked up a few items of "desktop" hardware: Minitaur, CP-251, MF102, MF05 Delay, EP-3 pedal and a Korg SQ-1(hey) :shock:. Immersing myself in such sonic exploration is both fun and rewarding, however, I need to structure my units inside some kind of rack which will help me better access those CV ins & outs during performance "takes". In their current state, I find it difficult and cumbersome when patching cables to and from these units and periodically revert to physically lifting one up off the desktop to make a connection! Awkward.

Could you offer up any suggestions as to what, in your opinion, you guys think could be the best solution in organising these units (see photo, thanks) into a perfomance-friendly rig using a rack of some kind.

Thanks, and I look forward to your input (oops!)
Home Deskop.JPG
Strictly no bubblegum: Moog Minitaur, MF102, CP-251, EP-3, Komplete Kontrol S25, Maschine Jam, GAP PreQ-73, GAP Comp-54 MKII, TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay, Spark, Dark Matter.

Joscuzz

Re: Rack 'Em Up!

Post by Joscuzz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:14 am

OK, I'm answering my own thread here. I have ordered the following items from three different outlets:

1x 10U Quik-Lok RS-10 desktop rack stand
1x 3U Moog Minitaur rack mount kit
1x 6U Moog Moogerfooger Rack mount kit

Hopefully, this should suffice?
Strictly no bubblegum: Moog Minitaur, MF102, CP-251, EP-3, Komplete Kontrol S25, Maschine Jam, GAP PreQ-73, GAP Comp-54 MKII, TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay, Spark, Dark Matter.

Kirneh Ness

Post by Kirneh Ness » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:12 pm

I am also "racking up" at the moment. One 20U unit just for 6 Moogerfoogers and the CP251 (one has to have 1 or 2 U space above each MF rack, as it is otherwise difficult to get to the in- and output suckets). I have space for a 1U patch bay where I have inserted all audio in/out from the moogerfoogers. I then have a 12U for various outboard gear. It is quite a project. Be sure to document what you do (and let no cable be left unmarked). But I am sure it will be worth it, as I couldn't use the gear sufficiently flexible when it was stacked on a table.

I couldn't let the Minitaur leave the table though, as I think it is a waste of rack real estate space to set it in a rack.
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.

Joscuzz

Post by Joscuzz » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:22 am

I am also "racking up" at the moment. One 20U unit just for 6 Moogerfoogers and the CP251 (one has to have 1 or 2 U space above each MF rack, as it is otherwise difficult to get to the in- and output suckets). I have space for a 1U patch bay where I have inserted all audio in/out from the moogerfoogers. I then have a 12U for various outboard gear. It is quite a project. Be sure to document what you do (and let no cable be left unmarked). But I am sure it will be worth it, as I couldn't use the gear sufficiently flexible when it was stacked on a table.
Wow that is a wall of sound your constructing there Kirneh! As expensive as these rack accessories are (and they are!) in limited space it is the only way forward I guess. The 10U I've ordered is open, meaning there are no restricting bars across the top or bottom of the rack stand so I should have good access to the CV inputs (etc) by dedicating the upper part of the rack to the 6U Moogerfooger kit.
I couldn't let the Minitaur leave the table though, as I think it is a waste of rack real estate space to set it in a rack.
I take your point here but in my case I don't have other outboard gear to mount other than the Minitaur unit and I wanted to consolidate my Moog gear into, what I refer to as, a "performance" rack. Besides that, I will have created the space for my EP-3 to sit on the desktop along side the Korg SQ-1 and the MF05 delay pedal leaving just enough room for a work-man's elbow! :D The rack ears of the Minitaur kit provide flexibility, in as much as, I can set the interface of the Minitaur to recess at an angle so the rear connection panel should be more accessible too. I will be left with a 1U space to play with. Hopefully, this should work?

Fair point about labelling the cables Kirneh. The outs/ins to the Minitaur will definitely be labelled up. Thanks for the tip!

Joscuzz

Post by Joscuzz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:52 pm

OK, several weeks in the making and here is my rig! Room to squeeze in another Moogerfooger but which one? Time to research some more....happy days!
Attachments
DSC_0157.JPG