Micromoog Blowing Fuses. Please Help!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
chuckfalcon

Micromoog Blowing Fuses. Please Help!

Post by chuckfalcon » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:09 pm

Hi everyone! I went on a craigslist hunt for a guitar and ended up finding a dusty old keyboard tucked away in a corner on the way. This keyboard was a Micromoog, which I got as is and untested. Cosmetically it was in super condition so it was worth a gamble. I bring it home, fire it up, and get nothing. Pop it open, blown fuses. I get fresh fuses, pop 'em in, turn it on, I get power for about one second and then both fuses blow.

All of the wiring and solder joints look to be original and it doesn't look to have seen any rough use. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get started fixing this thing? Replacing caps in the power sections? Testing the transistors on the power supply board? What are your ideas. Any and all help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck

thealien666

Re: Micromoog Blowing Fuses. Please Help!

Post by thealien666 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:43 pm

Hi Chuck.

Congrats on getting a Micromoog (I think).

Fuses that keep blowing in the PSU section means that there are components downstream that consume much more power than they should (shorted out). It could be anything from capacitors (especially Tantalum type that tend to short out over time), to some op amp (1458 and CA3080 have a tendency to get bad over time also), or any other components. The best thing would be to have a good tech have a look at it.

Good luck.

Alain.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

chuckfalcon

Post by chuckfalcon » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:24 am

thealien666 wrote:Hi Chuck.

Congrats on getting a Micromoog (I think).

Fuses that keep blowing in the PSU section means that there are components downstream that consume much more power than they should (shorted out). It could be anything from capacitors (especially Tantalum type that tend to short out over time), to some op amp (1458 and CA3080 have a tendency to get bad over time also), or any other components. The best thing would be to have a good tech have a look at it.

Good luck.

Alain.
Thanks, Alain! I ended up diving into it this afternoon, and came across a bad diode on the power supply board. I believe it was CR104. I don't have any on hand to replace it and check but I have some on order, as well as some new filter caps for the power supply section. I will keep you up to date with how it goes.

miczac

Post by miczac » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:57 am

Hi, did you get it to work? m.
Sound Artist/Musician/Composer/Engineer - mz.klingt.org