Tutorial for calibrating MG-1?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
lordradish

Tutorial for calibrating MG-1?

Post by lordradish » Mon May 29, 2017 11:57 am

Hey, folks, I just acquired an MG-1 in incredibly good condition. Oddly, it didn't have the black gunky plastic in it... someone just put felt discs over the switches. Even the caps all look great, no swelling, no corrosion!

Anyways, I want to do a few of the mods in the other thread on here that user facon graciously put a bunch of time and effort into. I'm comfortable with the soldering aspect, but after looking at the service manual, I'm not quite confident I understand the calibration process (at least, as it's explained in the manual) with those four screws in the back, perhaps I'm unfamiliar with some of the terminology. Does anyone know of a tutorial somewhere that could explain this better, or could maybe take afew minutes to explain it to me a bit more simply? I know I may sound kind of dense, here, I just don't quite understand the process, and would like to get a handle on it before I do any mods.

Much appreciated, and thanks in advance!!! :D

basicbasic

Re: Tutorial for calibrating MG-1?

Post by basicbasic » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:27 pm

ok, so i'll do my best here
- Scale: This controls the pitches across the keys for each oscillator. It's what you use to make sure the lowest C key and the next C up the keyboard are exactly an octave apart.
- Frequency: This controls the base frequency of the oscillator. It's what you use if your scale is correct but the actual notes are off eg. if your C keys are all playing E you can use the Freq trimmer to bring it down to C and still maintain the scale.