Moog Source cosmetics?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
80sboy

Moog Source cosmetics?

Post by 80sboy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:24 pm

Hello! I recently picked up a Source, with an early encore midi kit - plays well, sounds great but the cosmetics are letting it down a little bit

Primarily the laquer coating is peeling quite a bit and the metal has some scratches - I'm wondering the best way to deal with this. I dont want to destroy the lettering in the process...has anyone refinished the metal on a Source?

Also, the front wood strip is missing, the one directly under the keys. I will get a new piece of walnut, but I'm wondering the best way to finish the wood out to match. I dont really want to take the side pieces off as its an early model and theyre glued in, but I could mask them off and sand them down and refinish like that. How is the wood on the Source best re-finished?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!
tom

PacificState

Re: Moog Source cosmetics?

Post by PacificState » Tue May 30, 2017 10:25 am

Just picking up on this, mine is also in need of a refresh, with the wooden strip on the front missing. Did you figure out how this needs to be replaced and refinished?

Also, is it possible to remove and replace the wooden sides? They look riveted, and I'd prefer not to cause damage in the process of figuring this out...