Behringer Model D - $400

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Kirneh Ness

Re: Behringer Model D - $400

Post by Kirneh Ness » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:42 pm

thealien666 wrote: And, as I said earlier, I seriously doubt that Behringer could achieve the level of quality and, more importantly, the sound of a genuine Minimoog D for $400. And even if he did, there will always be a plus value of getting the real thing, crafted by hand by passionate and talented artists. Not some copy made in series in a chinese factory, no matter how modern it might be.
I surely get that craftsmanship and passion are necessary for making a great musical instrument. Whether that craftsmanship resides with Americans or Chinese should be immaterial. I literally don't speak synth.
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.

MC

Post by MC » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:41 pm

thealien666 wrote:I'm sure Uli is here under a pseudonym, spying on us... :wink:
He better not unmask himself. Because I will breathe fire on him :evil:
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:08 am

Wow, now Uli is bringing back the OBXa

https://ask.audio/articles/behringer-wo ... ynth-clone

Hope the young man at Shear Electronics can still move forward with the Relic-6, very talented

https://www.gearnews.com/behringer-ob-x ... s-relic-6/
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

valtyr

Post by valtyr » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:12 am

When I got a my first decent Les Paul clone it only made me want a Gibson more. I'd suspect the Behringer may have the same effect on it's users.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:15 am

valtyr wrote:When I got a my first decent Les Paul clone it only made me want a Gibson more. I'd suspect the Behringer may have the same effect on it's users.
Very well said. Same thing goes for software emulations like Monark or the Arturia stuff.

I understand Slash began with one of those Les Paul clones, didn't he?
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

timmy

Post by timmy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:20 pm

Does anyone here truly believe the Behringer Model D will sound just like a Moog model D? Come on? :)

The Behring OB-Xa will never be exactly like an Oberheim OB-Xa. It will be its own thing and that's fine.
Go analog: Moog Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Tom Oberheim
Go plastic: Roland, Yamaha, Korg

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Sat May 27, 2017 4:01 pm

That is what I am wondering and it put a little fear into me actually. What would that mean for Moog if it did sound the same? Can Berringer do this with all synths that Moog makes or is it more that they lost (control?) of the patent for the Model D?

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:12 pm

Now that Moog Music has announced the end of the production run for the Minimoog D (again), people will soon have to consider cheap, uh sorry, inexpensive imitations like the Behringer D, or Roland/Studio Electronics SE-02...
I pity them.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:36 am

thealien666 wrote:Now that Moog Music has announced the end of the production run for the Minimoog D (again), people will soon have to consider cheap, uh sorry, inexpensive imitations like the Behringer D, or Roland/Studio Electronics SE-02...
Or buy second hand.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:34 am

Prices of the vintage model-d's will probably rise again a lot ....

TimeEchoProductions

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:29 pm

Obviously, I can't make a full assessment without a direct hands on and ears on comparison, but
Based on the audio demos I have heard of the Behringer D, it sounds decent as its own thing, but it doesn't reach real model d quality in any way to my ears. I didn't expect it to, but Uli made the statement that he could build an exact sonic clone for $500, because it is only "$200 dollars in parts." If that was true, why did he fail? It sounds more stable and much less rich, almost like a DCO synth. I don't know. We'll see
Voyager XL, Minitaur, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103,
MF-105m, MF-107, MF-108m, MP-201
Thomas Monticello 371 with Moog preset Synthesizer

George Nada

Post by George Nada » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:38 am

I don't plan on getting one, I'd prefer a Mother 32 since it's a complete synth module (no need for an external keyboard if need be), but this is an interesting comparison video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pRiUSf_QFw

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:05 pm

Behringer D and the Model D both sound the same? I don't know ... a Kia and a Porsche both go 60 miles an hour, guess it all depends on what you like to drive ... :-)
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:08 am

Yes.

Without even speaking of the fact most of the forum members will laugh at the little D, I have to say I'm always surprised by how little the real experience seems to matter to youtube-demo watchers.

For example - I've tried many delay pedals, some of which have really, really great specs and sound great. But once under the fingers, I just lost my interest for some of them.
When the sound you get does not feel exactly right with respect to the move you've just made...

Conversely, the LP has a feature set that is quite limited with respect to some competitors, but it feels exactly right to me: I know where I go, what to touch etc. It does not have a huge amount of surprise factor but still.

Bref :)

timmy

Post by timmy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:39 pm

George Nada wrote:I don't plan on getting one, I'd prefer a Mother 32 since it's a complete synth module (no need for an external keyboard if need be), but this is an interesting comparison video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pRiUSf_QFw
I watched this video. I stand corrected in my earlier comment. It sounds like Behringer have made a proper clone of the Model D though not an exact clone but as close as one could get IMO. For $299 this is a no-brainer purchase for most people.
Go analog: Moog Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Tom Oberheim
Go plastic: Roland, Yamaha, Korg