LCD protective covering?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
dirx808

LCD protective covering?

Post by dirx808 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:12 am

So, after receiving my new Minitaur this week, I noticed what I thought was a scratch on the top of the cutoff knob. I then realized it was a protective plastic layer that peels off... I then discovered that ALL of my recent Moog devices (including MiniFs!) had the same plastic covering on all the knobs. After an hour of intense picking, my knobs are all now gleaming chrome! Very impressed with the build quality of Moog gear, never stops amazing me how much detail is put into these instruments.

Now my question... Can anyone confirm or deny if the Sub 37's LCD display also has a protective layer on it? I have noticed it has a slight rainbow haze but I cannot seem to pick away any layering. I don't want to damage it but now I am curious if this rainbow is from a protective coating on it as well.

So happy with Moog products... If only all American companies could put this much care into their products. 8)
New Moogs: Sub 37, Minitaur - Ableton Live 9, Cubase 9, WaveLab 9 - Duet, UAD Apollo Twin + Octo - MacBook Air (10.11.6), Mac mini x2 (10.12.3) - MiniFooger Delay (x2), Drive and Chorus -- Legacy: Prodigy (Rev. 1), Juno-60, DX7 (Rev. 1 + Grey Matter E!)

GregAE

Re: LCD protective covering?

Post by GregAE » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:12 am

dirx808 wrote:So, after receiving my new Minitaur this week, I noticed what I thought was a scratch on the top of the cutoff knob. I then realized it was a protective plastic layer that peels off... I then discovered that ALL of my recent Moog devices (including MiniFs!) had the same plastic covering on all the knobs. After an hour of intense picking, my knobs are all now gleaming chrome!

The plastic film that protects the silver inserts is installed when the knobs are made. It is most easily removed by applying a piece of tape over the film and then peeling the tape off (Scotch tape works great here). The film attaches to the tape and comes away cleanly, leaving a bright, shiny insert.

I recently replaced some knobs on a Dotcom synth module using the same knobs that Moog supplies on the SubPhatty and Mother 32. Those knobs had the same protective film over the inserts. After frustratingly picking away at the film on the first knob, I figured out the better (and quicker) film removal trick.
Q167.jpg

dirx808

Re: LCD protective covering?

Post by dirx808 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:21 am

Beautiful! Awesome module! I wish I'd know that trick last night... My fingers are a bit numb this morning. But my year old Sub looks better than ever, so impressive! Usually I spot these coatings right away (like on the Sequential Pro-6 nameplate) but the Moog stuff just looked so good out of the box, I never suspected it! Still up in the air about the LCD though... I picked at the edge a bit with an Xacto knife and it didn't seem to loosen anything... I swear either there is a film on it or the thick plastic is creating an illusion. Not a big deal by any means, just got me wondering now...
New Moogs: Sub 37, Minitaur - Ableton Live 9, Cubase 9, WaveLab 9 - Duet, UAD Apollo Twin + Octo - MacBook Air (10.11.6), Mac mini x2 (10.12.3) - MiniFooger Delay (x2), Drive and Chorus -- Legacy: Prodigy (Rev. 1), Juno-60, DX7 (Rev. 1 + Grey Matter E!)