Mogue!!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
AnalogDave

Mogue!!

Post by AnalogDave » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:39 pm

Does anyone else fall into the trap of pronouncing it Moooog instead of Mogue from time to time? For years, when I first got into writing and recording synth music in the 80s, I pronounced Moog as Mooooog until someone corrected me one day. Even now though, when I'm discussing synths with friends, I'll slip and say Moooog instead sometimes.
It LOOKS like it should be pronounced Moooog which makes it that much easier to slip into old habits.

Those old habits die hard I guess.

On a related topic, is Moogerfooger pronounced Moguerfoguer or Moguerfooooger?
My music and gear - AmbisonicMusic.com

Stevie Ray

Re: Mogue!!

Post by Stevie Ray » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:23 pm

Bob pronounced it 'Mowg'. It's an old Dutch name and should be more correctly pronounced (according to Bob) 'Mough' with a soft 'gh' at the end. He said even some of his family pronounced it differently, and that he didn't care much about the pronunciation, but preferred 'Mowg'.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDN-y0QQ7cs

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:11 pm

I say Moog all the time even if I know it's Mogue. Old habit indeed. Plus I'm French :lol:
AnalogDave wrote:is Moogerfooger pronounced Moguerfoguer or Moguerfooooger?
I must have read somewhere that it's MoguerFoguer so that it makes a pun with bad words :)

Chimponaut

Post by Chimponaut » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:01 am

I started out saying Moooog, many years ago. Then I learned the "correct" pronunciation from an uptight GC employee. Then I learned that Bob himself and family pronounce it differently and went back to Moooog. I constantly annoy folks who think they have the final say on someone else's name. I try to avoid the uptight GC employee types now.
Excellent point...
HW: Sub 37 <> Model D (original) <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 Module
<> Prophet Rev2 8V <> Prologue 16 <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Triton Le <> Audient ASP-880
<> RME Raydat

SW: Nuendo

AnalogDave

Post by AnalogDave » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:56 am

Stevie Ray wrote:Bob pronounced it 'Mowg'. It's an old Dutch name and should be more correctly pronounced (according to Bob) 'Mough' with a soft 'gh' at the end. He said even some of his family pronounced it differently, and that he didn't care much about the pronunciation, but preferred 'Mowg'.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDN-y0QQ7cs
Thanks for the video link. 8)
stiiiiiiive wrote:I say Moog all the time even if I know it's Mogue. Old habit indeed. Plus I'm French :lol:
I must have read somewhere that it's MoguerFoguer so that it makes a pun with bad words :)
A Frenchman into Moog. You wouldn't happen to be a fan of Jean-Michel Jarre by any chance would you? He's the man that got me started on this journey a few decades ago.
Chimponaut wrote:I started out saying Moooog, many years ago. Then I learned the "correct" pronunciation from an uptight GC employee. Then I learned that Bob himself and family pronounce it differently and went back to Moooog. I constantly annoy folks who think they have the final say on someone else's name. I try to avoid the uptight GC employee types now.
Excellent point...
I don't feel so bad about the pronunciation now!! Perhaps I'll just revert back to Moooog now too. :)
My music and gear - AmbisonicMusic.com

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:31 pm

AnalogDave wrote:
stiiiiiiive wrote:I say Moog all the time even if I know it's Mogue. Old habit indeed. Plus I'm French :lol:
A Frenchman into Moog. You wouldn't happen to be a fan of Jean-Michel Jarre by any chance would you? He's the man that got me started on this journey a few decades ago
Not that much... I used to, when I was a kid though :)

Kirneh Ness

Post by Kirneh Ness » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:55 pm

From the Moog website:

https://www.moogmusic.com/support/gener ... g-or-mogue

"Moog is pronounced so it rhymes with vogue."

But I still easily fall into saying 'Moooooog'. I said so consistently in the 70s and 80s - probably because of the British close by (I am in Scandinavia). Only five years ago I learned that I had been wrong all the time, but old habits are difficult to overcome.
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:32 pm

I think this settles the matter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDN-y0QQ7cs

captainkidd

Post by captainkidd » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:57 pm

I'm getting better at pronouncing it Mowg but still once in awhile say Mooooog. Especially since back in the day I used to work on cars which another company called Moog makes suspension parts for automobiles so I was familiar with calling it Mooooog back then. It's kind of the same thing with Vietnamese hot soup Phở where it's pronounce "Fuh" but most people call it "Foe" in which I was guilty of for many years. But since I've been married to a Vietnamese woman for a few years now I've been pretty much broken of that habit. Although I will still have a brain fart and call it "Foe" while not really thinking. :D