Moog Families of Sound

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Chimponaut

Moog Families of Sound

Post by Chimponaut » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:07 pm

What is the Mother 32 based on as far as the basic sound. (Not features) Does it fall into the Sub Synth Category...Sub Phatty, Sub 37 etc. Or is it based on the Modulars family sound? Moog call it a "Semi-Modular" so I thought it might be based on the modular's basic sound generation. (Same Oscillators) Same question for the Minitaur. If you had to put them into a Moog family how would you place them? Again, just the basic sound of the oscillators, not the features.

Thanks.
HW: Sub 37 <> Model D (original) <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 Module
<> Prophet Rev2 8V <> Prologue 16 <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Triton Le <> Audient ASP-880
<> RME Raydat

SW: Nuendo

Novem808

Re: Moog Families of Sound

Post by Novem808 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:37 pm

I believe it's from the Werkstatt.

N.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:03 pm

Minitaur belongs to the Taurus line.

I have both the Mother-32 and the Werkstatt and I feel a very different color in their overall sound...
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:57 am

Chimponaut wrote: Moog call it a "Semi-Modular" so I thought it might be based on the modular's basic sound generation. (Same Oscillators)
Somehow I very much doubt it...

Cheers,
Tom

MC

Post by MC » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:27 pm

Chimponaut wrote:Moog call it a "Semi-Modular" so I thought it might be based on the modular's basic sound generation.
I played both the Moog 15 modular and the Mother-32 at this past NAMM. The M32 doesn't sound at all like the modular. It is termed a "semi-modular" because of its patching system.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Chimponaut

Post by Chimponaut » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:17 pm

Thanks all. This clears things up for me, sort of.
HW: Sub 37 <> Model D (original) <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 Module
<> Prophet Rev2 8V <> Prologue 16 <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Triton Le <> Audient ASP-880
<> RME Raydat

SW: Nuendo

Novem808

Post by Novem808 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:41 pm

Looking at the oscillator board of a modular Moog, and a Werkstatt board..you can see the different technology at work.

N.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:46 pm

Someone said elsewhere in the net that the Voyager is not part of the same family of the Model D, but of the Multimoog and Micromoog, based on the sound and not the circuits, from what I guess. Does this make sense?

And I beleive the Model D does make part of the modular family?
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

MC

Post by MC » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:34 pm

bichuelo wrote:Someone said elsewhere in the net that the Voyager is not part of the same family of the Model D, but of the Multimoog and Micromoog, based on the sound and not the circuits, from what I guess. Does this make sense?
I don't agree. I used to own a Micromoog. It was a good bass and FX synth but its filter was too polite and its resonance a bit sterile. A Voyager on one oscillator still blows it away on leads.

People make erroneous comparisons between their Minimoog and Voyager. Almost every 70s-80s era production Minimoog had matched transistor pairs in the top and bottom of the ladder filter, which will cause the sound of Minimoogs to vary from unit to unit. The acid test is the filter resonance. The first few hundred Minimoogs had every transistor pair matched in the ladder filter, which resulted in better control of resonance. I have one of the first fifty, a RAM unit. And a Voyager. I have played two other RAM units and they sounded identical to my unit, yet every late Minimoog sounded different. Because my Voyager also uses all matched transistor pairs in the ladder filter, it sounds like my RAM unit. So I'm of the opinion that the Voyager does fit in the Minimoog class.
And I beleive the Model D does make part of the modular family?
Since the model A and B prototypes used circuit boards from the modular and the production Minimoog circuits were derived from the modular, this would be true.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi