Sub 37 Model D connection possibilities question

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
sub guy

Sub 37 Model D connection possibilities question

Post by sub guy » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:35 pm

Ok I have a technical question for you. As many of you know I have both the Sub 37 and the new Model D. Had planned on selling the Sub but have come to miss the Darkness and muffled sound of the Sub 37. I was feeling torn until I ran the Model D through the filter section of the Sub 37 and my mind has been blown. It just sounds amazing and along with imparting that dark spooky vibe, I have all of the filter modulation options available to me now along with the Model D oscillators. Best of both worlds. The only thing that could make this better is if the filter section of the Sub 37 were available via modular from Moog :mrgreen: or more likely if they ever produce a rack mount edition of the Sub 37.

Here is what I want to be able to do quickly in a live setting.

1- be able to play the Model D through the Sub 37 filter section for added darkness and spookiness.
2- be able to switch quickly to only playing through the Model d for a brighter sound or also if possible, but less important, only play through the sub 37.
3- If playing only one or the other synth at a time I would like to be able to produce drones with the synth not being used.

I am sure this is easy to do but being new I have no idea how.

A friend recommended the Moog Moogerfooger cp-251 but I am hoping there is something cheaper and more simple to use....

Novem808

Re: Sub 37 Model D connection possibilities question

Post by Novem808 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:59 pm

The model d has two outputs right?

N.

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:36 pm

Novem808 wrote:The model d has two outputs right?

N.

Yes one high and one low output.

Novem808

Post by Novem808 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:02 pm

I would run the mini in ch1 and sub37 ch2 (example) into mixer. You have one output from mini running in to ch1 and the other output from the mini into the sub37. Then you can run through either or both filters. I'd like to here what the sub37 sounds like though the mini, just to listen to the 37 oscillators going into a model d filter.

Hope this helps,

N.

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:01 pm

^^^^^^^^

I forgot to thank you for the suggestion. I'm still getting used to the new Model D so I've been all over the place about its sound in comparison with Sub 37. Sometimes you like what you are used to more until you get used to something else. Now I've had them both for a while it is very clear that the Model D is far superior to the sub 37. As it stands now I'm just selling the sub 37 and IF I feel the need to modify the sound of it Ill just get an EQ.