Please Help me decide!!!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
BobbyD-NYC

Please Help me decide!!!

Post by BobbyD-NYC » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:07 pm

Hello tone gurus. I produce music using Ableton and also playing guitar for 40 years. I recently purchased my first piece of outboard analog gear which was the Moog sub 37 and I couldn't have been happier. It feels like it almost has a soul to it. I want to add a polyphonic synth to complete my outboard gear for now anyway. Once I pull off my next bank heist, I will be back on forum asking for more suggestions.

For now, I have narrowed my search to the Dave Smith P6 or OB6 and I am at a complete loss which would make a better marriage with the
Moog sub 37.

I am a disabled vet and live on disability insurance so I watch every penny I spend. Please note I am NOT a war hero and became disabled after I was discharged from Air Force. I never want to even put myself in the same league as those brave souls who were injured in battle.

Anyone familiar with both the DS Prophet 6 and Oberheim 6 and can shed some light as to which would make a btter synergy with the Moog will help with the most difficult music purchase I think I ever had to make.

I truly thank anyone who takes their time to respond.

I have to make one last confession. I purchased a Moog 104mSD in absolutely perfect mint condition for $1100 including shipping as I was told that with the Sub 37 will make a world of difference. I also got a great deal on the MOOGERFOGER Phaser. Someone suggested I also look into the CV 251 but I had a traumatic brain injury and do not want to short circuit my brain.

Any comments will be so greatly appreciated.

God Bless and stay Healthy

BobbyD-NYC

jsharpphoto

Re: Please Help me decide!!!

Post by jsharpphoto » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:52 am

Well... What sounds do you want to make? The Prophet 6 sounds (arguably) like a Prophet 5, while the OB-6 sounds more like on OB-Xa. Which of those two appeals more to you? I just bought an OB-6, it should arrive today, actually. Check out the EXTENSIVE series of videos made by Automatic Gainsay on YouTube, comparing the two, specifically the filters and VCO. And I do mean.extensive. Marc is the Bill Nye the Science Guy of synthesizers.

On an unrelated note, I have the 104m and a CP-251. They work very well together, but now that I have a voyager XL (which has the 251 built in) I'm going to sell my CP-251. Let me know if you're interested, I'll make you a good deal.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:18 pm

Can't help with your decision, but found it interesting you were deciding between the two causeeeeeeeeeeee, we just got back from Minnesota and there was a guitar center around Egan that had that exact setup. OB6 on the left, Prophet 6 on the right top, and a 37 on the bottom. I really liked the sounds of the OB6, cool combinations of knobs and switches for endless creativity.
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:57 pm

I was unimpressed with the prophet 6 the first time I played it. Played it again a few months later and liked it. I've had my OB-6 for 5 hours now, and have only stopped playing it to response to this post.

BUY IT.

And I generally hate DSI products.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:41 am

jsharpphoto wrote: I've had my OB-6 for 5 hours now, and have only stopped playing it to response to this post.
:)

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:53 pm

jsharpphoto wrote:I was unimpressed with the prophet 6 the first time I played it. Played it again a few months later and liked it. I've had my OB-6 for 5 hours now, and have only stopped playing it to response to this post.

BUY IT.

And I generally hate DSI products.
There was one hidden in the DJ section at the Musik Messe and I managed to spend 5 minutes on it.

I don't like DSI products neither, but this is completely different. It's fantastic.
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:55 pm

The Kurzweil PC3K series are quite different from these new analog generation, but it might be a great to add a completely different universe of sounds
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra