Will new Model D parts be available to vintage Mini owners?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
eric coleridge

Will new Model D parts be available to vintage Mini owners?

Post by eric coleridge » Tue May 31, 2016 7:25 pm

Hi, I'm stoked to see the Mini back in production, it looks beautiful, just perfect. I don't believe I'll be able to afford one, but I'm still super excited and can't wait to try one out.

I'm hopeful, however, that Moog Music might make some of the newly manufactured parts available to people who own and love their vintage Mini's. Like, obviously within reason.

For instance-- my Mini desperately needs new switches-- particularly blue and red ones. These have been completely unavailable for as long as I've needed replacements (mine have no click left in them whatsoever-- it's like switching butter). I've been told that the Moogerfooger switches don't really fit well-- but I'm assuming the ones you're making for the Model D will work on vintage D's.

What are my chances?

EricK

Re: Will new Model D parts be available to vintage Mini owne

Post by EricK » Tue May 31, 2016 8:00 pm

Mod Wheels and badges would be nice also.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

torinkrell

Post by torinkrell » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:51 am

That was the 1st thing I thought of when I heard the Model D was being re-introduced because of the difficulty I had tracking down one waveform rotary switch for my 1973 Minimoog. Then next I wondered why the new Minimoog didn't have sync nor LFO driven PWM as provided by some professionally done mods by RMS back in the 70's :)
Akai AX-80
Korg Polysix
Roland Juno 60
Moog The Source
Yamaha e1010 BBD
Moog Parametric EQ
Sequential Prophet Pro~One
Altec AS-1600 audio oscillator (1947)
Moog Music Minimoog Model D (1973)

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:17 am

I think you'll find that the new Model 'D' uses completely different parts hardware-wise. It's all been redesigned to 'look' like a Model 'D'...!?
Components-wise, if you wanted say a 2n3904 transistor or whatever they are readily available on eBey etc.

Cheers,
Tom

MC

Post by MC » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:21 am

^ True dat.

Just because it looks and sounds like a model D, doesn't mean that the parts are INTERCHANGEABLE.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:39 pm

MC wrote:^ True dat.

Just because it looks and sounds like a model D, doesn't mean that the parts are INTERCHANGEABLE.

Exactly... just as everyone says that the new *Model 15 app* for the iPad & iPhone is: "just the same an a real Model 15" - but you'd be hard pressed to interchange parts from those too... :?

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:44 pm

eric coleridge wrote:...
What are my chances?
Slim to none I'm afraid :(

As others have said above, this design will use contemporary components that Moog can source economically in the required volumes.

The PB/Mod wheel assembly maybe, but I doubt Moog are going to offer a spare parts shop either.

MC

Post by MC » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:54 pm

This answers the question of the thread...

http://www.moogmusic.com/support/servic ... og-service
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:28 pm

I don't think that does answer the question completely. Quoting Moog's service policy is all well and good, but I suspect the OP was wondering if parts would be available and/or compatible with vintage D. I very much doubt the two models will be compatible in any sense, so forget about component swapping.

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:52 pm

In theory... if Moog have indeed copied the original circuits but implemented them in a more 'modern' way - for example all the rotary switches and pots are directly PCB mounted as opposed to the original way which was to hand-wire them all to the PCB connectors - these rotary switches and pots could be retrofitted into an original Model 'D' - as they would supposedly be the same/correct value pot or have the same number of stops in the case of the rotary switches.

But the question would be - why bother? Pots & rotary switches can be sourced elsewhere and you would actually have more of a chance finding NOS exact replacements ie: old AB pots etc which would be preferable anyway.

Cheers,
Tom

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:57 pm

eric coleridge wrote:For instance-- my Mini desperately needs new switches-- particularly blue and red ones. These have been completely unavailable for as long as I've needed replacements (mine have no click left in them whatsoever-- it's like switching butter). I've been told that the Moogerfooger switches don't really fit well-- but I'm assuming the ones you're making for the Model D will work on vintage D's.
I'd hazard a guess that the rocker switches used in the new Model 'D' would be the same ones they are using in the Moogerfooger range... and anyway, those original vintage Model 'D' switches are serviceable. They can be dismantled, cleaned, lubricated and reassembled quite easily..!

Cheers,
Tom

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:48 pm

MC wrote:^ True dat.

Of course, but from what I understand, vintage parts are actually being re-manufactured. They should be interchangeable.

There's a photo from Moog-fest of an exploded *new* Model D, and from the looks of it, in addition to re-printing the original circuit boards, they've reproduced the cabinet and other proprietary hardware. I didn't see any hardware mounting PCBs, so, it would appear that they are panel mounting the hardware. I also read a quote that suggests Moog is re-manufacturing UA726s for this project.

It's really not that difficult to re-manufacture old parts anymore, and this appears to be what they're doing.

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:03 pm

noddyspuncture wrote:They can be dismantled, cleaned, lubricated and reassembled quite easily..!
It might be relatively easy to clean and restore the switches to full electronic/mechanical functionality, but in order to restore that satisfying 'click' it looks to me like they need to be rebuilt. It's not easy. It's not even easy to take them apart-- if I remember right, the plastic switch is bolted into the metal frame. I'm sure Kevin Lightener has figured out some way to do it, but I haven't been able to.

Like I said, within reason; I don't expect Moog to open up a parts shop for 'legacy' Mini's. But c'on, making a few switch sets available (if they are indeed re-made) would be a nice gesture.

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:08 pm

eric coleridge wrote: There's a photo from Moog-fest of an exploded *new* Model D, and from the looks of it, in addition to re-printing the original circuit boards, they've reproduced the cabinet and other proprietary hardware. I didn't see any hardware mounting PCBs, so, it would appear that they are panel mounting the hardware. I also read a quote that suggests Moog is re-manufacturing UA726s for this project.

It's really not that difficult to re-manufacture old parts anymore, and this appears to be what they're doing.
If you watch the video of them assembling the new Model 'D' in the Moog factory - you will see that all the pots & rotary switches are mounted directly onto the PCB's. Yes, that hardware (pots & rotary switches) is then mounted to the front panel... but they are completely different parts and there is no 'wiring' as such, like the vintage Model 'D' has in abundance. It makes sense though, because it keeps the cost down etc...etc... it's the 'modern way of doing things - but I can assure you the PCB's, the sockets the PCB's plug into, the switches, the pots, the rotary selectors, even the knobs (being push-on types) will all be different. Moog didn't manufacture all those parts originally, they bought them in and those old parts are not made anymore. The only chance would be finding NOS, and that wouldn't be cost effective. Vintage AB potentiometers are expensive, so they have gone with modern-day equivalents.

So, no, it's not the same.

Cheers,
Tom

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:24 pm

Then, I stand corrected in regard to the panel mount parts. I've only seen a few snippets of press about it, and I was pretty impressed that they were using the original PCBs and re-manufacturing components. I was hoping that might extend to some of the hardware as well (like the switches I need).

Naturally it's cheaper to use modern off-the-shelf equivalents for obsolete parts, but it's not like it's impossible or even particularly difficult to re-manufacture parts today. Much smaller companies than Moog do all the time. All you have to do is look at all of the vintage instrument part suppliers on ebay for evidence of this.