Hunting for rogue power supply

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
joseph_pie

Hunting for rogue power supply

Post by joseph_pie » Fri May 27, 2016 6:10 pm

Hi. Sorry I know something very similar was asked before, but that hasn't helped my particular circumstance; I have a moog rogue which came with an official moog 3 pin (UK) power supply (presumably same as American (24v 3.5mm input) but with different plug. I've stupidly lost so have been hunting for a replacement. Seems very hard to find a UK 24v ac supply with suitable 3.5mm input so am considering buying an unofficial American one... But the whole US to UK conversion thing I find pretty confusing, can I just use an American 24v ac 3.5mm and plug it into a US to UK step down converter? Or is it more complex than that? Please help!! Really want my rogue back!!!

Stevie Ray

Re: Hunting for rogue power supply

Post by Stevie Ray » Sat May 28, 2016 12:41 pm

I began restoring a Rogue about a year ago. It was in a bad way, and I've still not finished it. Some if the parts like slider pots and those odd switches are just pure 'unobtainium' and I've sort of lost patience with it for now.

The legendary 'black gunk' (decomposing foam between PCB and panel, meant to keep dust and crap out of the sliders and switches) had completely ruined half the panel components (except the rotary pots).

Anyhow, I ditched the external transformer completely (it was faulty anyway) and built a new, internal power supply. There's plenty of room in the Rogue's case to do this, and replaced the external 24AC socket with a fixed mains line cord - an IEC socket/switch set would have been better, but I couldn't figure out where best to put it at the time. It didn't want to chop the case around too much.

You need to know exactly what you're doing with mains electrics safety-wise of course (earthing, fuses, proper insulation etc.), but using a small internal PSU with a small toroidal transformer would be my preferred solution. Just buy/build a small +/- 12v mains 1A PSU that will fit and bypass the Rogue's own rectifier/voltage regulation circuitry.

If you're not confident about doing this, then you could go for a third-party alternative, but as most AC PSUs are simply transformers, the American version will expect a 120VAC mains input whereas your UK mains supply will be 230VAC, so the AC output will be correspondingly higher by nearly 50%. Some AC transformer supplies do have selection switch between 120VAC/230VAC. If you get one that has that feature, you should be ok.

joseph_pie

Post by joseph_pie » Mon May 30, 2016 10:29 pm

Thanks for your response

luckynerd

Post by luckynerd » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:53 pm

I'm late to the game, but IIRC, here's a compatible power supply:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... 1_10102_-1
Learn To Fix

Moog T1 Pedal Contact Board Upgrade: http://www.minimoog.net/daphne/moog-tau ... act-board/

EldenNelson

Post by EldenNelson » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:19 pm

Hi everyone....i faced an issue regarding this and then i ditched the external transformer completely (it was faulty anyway) and built a new, internal power supply. There's plenty of room in the Rogue's case to do this, and replaced the external 24AC socket with a fixed mains line cord - an IEC socket/switch set would have been better, but I couldn't figure out where best to put it at the time.

Tonysal123

Post by Tonysal123 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:46 pm

Same here, installed a 110vac to 24 vac transformer, fuse & power cord inside the Rogue. Here is the link with instructions- https://xbs111.wordpress.com/2012/06/21 ... r-upgrade/

Cheers,
T
Attachments
0D939E50-F8AF-4984-8C89-0C6520507945.JPG