New Minimoog Model D features

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
bradtyler

New Minimoog Model D features

Post by bradtyler » Tue May 24, 2016 10:57 am

Hi All,

Do we know if there are any new features to this new Model D? I know that MIDI is included (obviously) but what about a patch memory? I'd sell relatives to get a Minimoog but one feature I'd really want is the ability to store/recall patches. I get the impression this won't as it's meant as a "clone" (for want of a better word) of the original. If that is the case, it seems a little like a missed opportunity. Still, I'm so excited by this news. ALL HAIL MOOG! :lol:

space_nerd

Re: New Minimoog Model D features

Post by space_nerd » Tue May 24, 2016 11:47 am

bradtyler wrote:Hi All,

Do we know if there are any new features to this new Model D? I know that MIDI is included (obviously) but what about a patch memory? I'd sell relatives to get a Minimoog but one feature I'd really want is the ability to store/recall patches. I get the impression this won't as it's meant as a "clone" (for want of a better word) of the original. If that is the case, it seems a little like a missed opportunity. Still, I'm so excited by this news. ALL HAIL MOOG! :lol:
This new Minimoog is 99% a clone / remake of the original.
Allow me to say purists like me likes it this way: if you 'd like to improve things on the original Model D design, you will end up with..... a minimoog Voyager!!!
Have you considered about getting a Voyager?

Now about the Analog / Digital circuits marriage, here's what Jim Scott have said : (Jim Scott is one of the creators of the original minimoog model d)

"Another contribution to the cleanliness of the instrument is the absence of any microprocessor circuitry on
board to control the analog sound chain. Very high frequency digital clock pulses have a nasty habit of
sneaking around at low levels and finding their way into the audio circuitry, where they can induce subtle
effects to muddy the sound. This is exemplified in the MicroMoog, a cut down version of the Mini, which I
designed using an ultrasonic clock as part of the keyboard in order to develop triggers for the envelope
generators. Tom Rhea reports that this instrument sounds markedly better if it is played from an external old
style Modular keyboard, with the MicroMoog keyboard circuitry shut off."

Jim Scott, May 1999.

The Audities Foundation
Copyright © 1999. All rights reserved.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue May 24, 2016 12:43 pm

This new clone does have digital circuitry, but only for the keybed scanning and MIDI interface. And both of these quickly generate an analog Control Voltage. Everything else is 100% analog.

I agree with space_nerd that if you want memories, and a much more versatile modulation scheme, you should go with a Voyager.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

captainkidd

Post by captainkidd » Tue May 24, 2016 2:03 pm

Personally I think they added just the right amount of new features without moving it too far away from the original Model D. Of course I've never played an original Model D so some of my thoughts are from the outside. I feel that the small amount of added features would have been nice if originally implemented on the original Model D and that really the only changes that should have been made to the re-issue was with the little better components to keep it more stable. I don't know about the whole keyboard situation so I don't know if the move to the Fatar is a no-no or not.

I really want to get one and trying to figure out some creative financing to do so. I just don't know if I should jump on the pre-order thing or take my chances and wait until it's online for order since no one really knows for sure how many will be produced and how many are spoken for so far.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Tue May 24, 2016 3:53 pm

Go with the Sub-37 is you want patch memories. Patch memories on a new Model D doesn't fit at all IMHO.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue May 24, 2016 5:36 pm

captainkidd wrote:Personally I think they added just the right amount of new features without moving it too far away from the original Model D. Of course I've never played an original Model D so some of my thoughts are from the outside. I feel that the small amount of added features would have been nice if originally implemented on the original Model D and that really the only changes that should have been made to the re-issue was with the little better components to keep it more stable. I don't know about the whole keyboard situation so I don't know if the move to the Fatar is a no-no or not.

I really want to get one and trying to figure out some creative financing to do so. I just don't know if I should jump on the pre-order thing or take my chances and wait until it's online for order since no one really knows for sure how many will be produced and how many are spoken for so far.
In my opinion the Fatar keyboard is FAR inferior to a P-R with new bushings with regard to how it feels. One article that I read somewhere indicated that the preorder price might be a little cheaper like the street price was 3499 and the list was more like 3799 (something like that) when it goes into full production.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.