Taurus Pedals?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

Should Moog create the Taurus IIIs?

Yes
56%
No
33%
Maybe
11%

Total votes: 27

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:24 pm

In the current Mix Magazine, there is a description of the sound system being used on The Police 2007 tour.

To describe the effectiveness of the low end, the house mix engineer tells of how the crowd goes crazy when Sting steps on his Taurus 1 pedals.

Henfield

Post by Henfield » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:26 pm

I don't understand how people can say that there isn't a market for these things. Something self contained, ala the T1, would work for keyboardists, as well as the target market for this product, guitar and bass players!!! There can't be any less of a market for a good T1 update than there is for monophonic keyboards!
MF 102,White MF 103, MF 105B, Minitaur, and an LP Stage II w/ CV Out Mod as well!

space_nerd

Post by space_nerd » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:28 pm

Yes the must re-release the Taurus but they have to promise that the have to reproduce exactly the original circuit just to be successfully-please see MC'S page and description

moflaherty

Taurus 3s

Post by moflaherty » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:35 pm

I spoke to someone a year or two ago there at Moog and he told me they were considering partnering with Fatar on the pedal side. I told him they were junk and that it would be better to either just build the brain (my vote because of price) or build pedals. Either way, T3s MUST at a minimum mimic the sound quality of my beloved T1s -- so much so that if they don't sound the same (at least be able to produce the basic sounds of the T1), I don't want them. Sure, I want flexibility and new stuff, but without bringing the stradivarius forward, it is just another modern synth.

keb

Post by keb » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:39 am

I love my T1s. Really the only bit of true vintage gear that I own. There's just no substitute.

Henfield

Post by Henfield » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:45 am

space_nerd wrote:Yes the must re-release the Taurus but they have to promise that the have to reproduce exactly the original circuit just to be successfully-please see MC'S page and description
Thanks for the heads up! I checked out MC's page, very well done! I always wondered why people pooh poohed the Taurus II and were seeking out the Taurus I, even though the synth section of the T II seemed to be more flexible and controllable.

I would agree that the T I architechture needs to be recreated. Can they apply the same principles as they did for the Little Phatty, and make a rack mounted module that uses the discreet tone generating section of the T 1, some knobs,and the circuits from the LP that can "memorize" the settings so that you could have presets and MIDI? That way you could use either Fatar's or Roland's pedal controller, or you could use any form of MIDI controller to get the Taurus sound!

Just a thought........
MF 102,White MF 103, MF 105B, Minitaur, and an LP Stage II w/ CV Out Mod as well!

miket156

Post by miket156 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:29 pm

Didn't Moog look into reissuing Taurus pedals a few years ago and determined it would be too expensive to do now? I know there are "some" musicians that can play bass pedals, but not a lot. I'm not talking about STING, I'm talking about the "mass" market. Typically, organ players that had lessons when they were young learned the traditional method of playing organ. "Modern" organ players that do jazz typically kick left hand bass and solo on their right hand. The hand is quicker than the foot!

I don't see a big market for bass pedals. AND, it they didn't sound EXACTLY like the Taurus One pedals, people would be bitchin about it. Then you would have the crowd that says there were no "improvements" using modern electronics. I think it would be beating a dead horse.

Mike T.