New Model D ?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
pnorris79

Re: New Model D ?

Post by pnorris79 » Thu May 19, 2016 1:33 pm

to me, the new model D is particularly exciting after the recreation of the classic modular systems. A company who has literally been building as near-as-possible-vintage synth modules is probably in the right place to tackle recreating the minimoog (wasn't the original prototype the module boards?)

I can't wait to play one.

MC

Post by MC » Thu May 19, 2016 1:51 pm

Prototype A and B were circuit boards from the modulars.

Cyril Lance did a faithful reproduction of the Taurus, and Gene Stopp is responsible for the faithful reproduction of the modulars (I played the System 15 at NAMM). With these two on board there is little question that they can reproduce the Minimoog that is faithful to the original.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu May 19, 2016 1:54 pm

Looks like Nick Montoya is part of the team responsible for the faithful reproduction of the Minimoog D.
The added features are great and implemented very wisely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvwwSOigxlg#t=44
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Thu May 19, 2016 3:54 pm

Limited only to the folks at Moogfest ... :-(

This instrument sounds AMAZING. In the MINI category, not flag shipping this as a franchise player IMO would be shame. Upon this MINI, we would build our sound. Now we realize why the multitudes begged for it's reincarnation. And if this was extended into DXL version ... we would have to under go BRAIN SALAD SURGERY!!!
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

captainkidd

Post by captainkidd » Thu May 19, 2016 4:42 pm

Wow this is neat! Lately I've been contemplating on getting a Voyager Performer Edition. I've actually kind of flopped back and forth about getting an Old School edition instead but they seem to be going for as much as if not more than a brand new Performer edition. I do like the XL but is twice the price and probably more Synth than I need (and size too). I've been a little bit antsy since the Voyagers have been discontinued the prices may end up going up (just speculation). I have a Sub 37 plus some Moogers and some other Moog items but thought it might be kind of neat to add one of the Mini's into the mix.

Now with the announcement of the New Model D it has gotten me to kind of rethink my plans. Of course as mentioned in all the articles and videos so far there is initially only going to be a short run that is going to be available to the Moogfest attendees but anything after that is still up in the air. Hmmmm think, think, think….

pnorris79

Post by pnorris79 » Thu May 19, 2016 5:16 pm

the Moog newsletter is too carefully worded and says "pilot" too many times for me to believe they would limit this synth just to moogfest.

captainkidd

Post by captainkidd » Thu May 19, 2016 5:42 pm

Well I just came across a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01iRprMewl8 and I guess you can pre-order one starting today at Vintage King.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Thu May 19, 2016 6:43 pm

This is not limited to just MoogFEST. That's just the initial launch. The first shipment is set to arrive at Sweetwater early next week. They are already taking pre-orders for it over the phone, but it won't be on their site until June.

Ask me how I know.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Thu May 19, 2016 7:07 pm

J thanks for the heads up, just put our pre in at SW. My Voyager XL is about to set SALE for distant galaxy's.
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Thu May 19, 2016 8:10 pm

You're not selling your XL for the D are you?
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Thu May 19, 2016 11:04 pm

Selling the XL, yes ... :-(.

For a D, no.

The XL is awesome and comes with an arsenal of endless sounds and capabilities. The XL is a flat out beast, but its also way more then this novice will ever use.

As for the D. We purchased it for its simplicity. Might add a cp251 and call it a day. We also cancelled the Sub and will hold out hope for a Moog Poly ... four voices are plenty for us, and with the current moog engineers at the helm of this Poly design ... and if its BASS-ed on the phatty voice, Stadiums will fall

paramnesia

Post by paramnesia » Fri May 20, 2016 11:22 am

Pop-up factory live stream, building now

https://live.moogfest.com/facilities/143
Sub37TE V1.2 / 4 X CP-251, 3 x MF-104M, MF-102, MF-107, MF-108M, 4 x Mother32, MP-201
My Eurorack https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2268669
My Pedal Board https://www.modulargrid.net/p/racks/view/461843

luckynerd

Post by luckynerd » Fri May 20, 2016 11:15 pm

thealien666 wrote:Looks like Nick Montoya is part of the team responsible for the faithful reproduction of the Minimoog D.
The added features are great and implemented very wisely.
Nick knows his way around a Mini! :)

Yes, I love the new features! I never thought I'd want to own a Mini, but I very much want one of these!
Learn To Fix

Moog T1 Pedal Contact Board Upgrade: http://www.minimoog.net/daphne/moog-tau ... act-board/

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Fri May 20, 2016 11:37 pm

What an amazing journey from 60's early ciruits to modulars to minimoog to polyphony to digital control back to minimoog. We have seen the trajectory of a technology from birth, explosive growth and in its maturity, returning to tone instead of chasing new features.

B
I've stopped talking now.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Sat May 21, 2016 6:15 pm

LivePsy wrote:What an amazing journey from 60's early ciruits to modulars to minimoog to polyphony to digital control back to minimoog. We have seen the trajectory of a technology from birth, explosive growth and in its maturity, returning to tone instead of chasing new features.

B
But will we actually return to that 'tone' with this new instrument. Even the original Model Ds sound different from each other depending on many things (original model vintage, components used, restoration etc.).

I think most of us have forgotten what a new, out of the factory (1973 say) Model D actually sounded like and played - if we ever knew. The ageing of the original boards and components add sonic character (good or bad depending on your tastes). Restoration can alter the sonic characteristics even further.

So what is the sound of the classic Model D exactly? What did Moog use at their benchmark?

It's a brave move for Moog to reintroduce an instrument which has so much emotional attachment and high expectations. I hope they've got it right.