New Model D ?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
sub guy

Re: New Model D ?

Post by sub guy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:42 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:1- Just as you said, simple cables will do.

2- It's more like that: the mod wheel will increase the modulation source action. That source can be the filter envelope or the LFO. In the first case, a short attack and high sustain will allow you to control the filter cutoff frequency.
Hope this helps :)

Forgive me but I don't understand how to implement this. Would you mind breaking it down for me step by step? :oops:

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:25 pm

I don't have any Model D here but I'll do my best :)
Try this:
- In the Controllers section, modifier set to 100% filter envelope.
- In the left hand controllers, set the modulation wheel to max.
- In the Modifiers/Filter section, filter envelope set with instant Attack, maxed Sustain.
- In the Modifiers/Filter section, Filter Modulation switch set to ON.
- In the Modifiers/Filter section, set the Amount of Contour while playing to the max value you want to reach when actionning the mod wheel. [EDIT: maybe you don't need that...]

Here it is (I think): now, the mod wheel controls the filter cutoff frequency. It actually does so through the modifiers and filter modulation circuits.
Hope this helps!

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:49 pm

Great Scott and Heavens to Murgatroyd ... MY Vintage 2016 MODEL D is Ready ... YES YES YES ... oh crap, wait a minute, NO NO NO, i'm leaving for vacation tomorrow. WTFreak.
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:37 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:I don't have any Model D here but I'll do my best :)
Try this:
- In the Controllers section, modifier set to 100% filter envelope.
- In the left hand controllers, set the modulation wheel to max.
- In the Modifiers/Filter section, filter envelope set with instant Attack, maxed Sustain.
- In the Modifiers/Filter section, Filter Modulation switch set to ON.
- In the Modifiers/Filter section, set the Amount of Contour while playing to the max value you want to reach when actionning the mod wheel. [EDIT: maybe you don't need that...]

Here it is (I think): now, the mod wheel controls the filter cutoff frequency. It actually does so through the modifiers and filter modulation circuits.
Hope this helps!

Hey man that worked-- thank you!

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:29 pm

Who on this forum already has a new mini moog? I've got mine and want to ask some questions from people who have one. PM's would be great also.

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:38 pm

Or any electrical EE that are familiar with the Model d would be great also.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:41 pm

I would love one, but not at the currently insane price. I'll let the market settle down for a year or two. £3,500 for a fairly basic monophonic synthesiser is just crazy IMHO. I'll stick with my VOS and my vintage D.

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:08 pm

OK so I found out that my question is probably a matter of common knowledge in these forums (remember I am a newbie still) Is it possible to split a cable coming off of the velocity out on my model d and split that cable and have it go into say the volume in and also the filter in? Can the cables be stacked?

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:00 pm

The Control Voltage (CV) cables can be split to send them to multiple destinations. But each destination will draw a little bit of current and will reduce the maximum range just a bit.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:40 pm

thealien666 wrote:The Control Voltage (CV) cables can be split to send them to multiple destinations. But each destination will draw a little bit of current and will reduce the maximum range just a bit.

Thanks. Went and bought cables and am trying it out now.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:36 pm

sub guy wrote:
thealien666 wrote:The Control Voltage (CV) cables can be split to send them to multiple destinations. But each destination will draw a little bit of current and will reduce the maximum range just a bit.

Hey Sub Guy - what are your initial impressions of the new D?

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:53 pm

Stevie Ray wrote:
sub guy wrote:

Hey Sub Guy - what are your initial impressions of the new D?
Well I had not heard one before and the only other synths I have a lot of experience with are two mother 32's and the Sub 37. I have mixed feelings about the model D. The sound is fantastic that is for sure. It is a HUGE synth. It sounds richer and just somehow of higher quality than either the sub 37 or the mothers. It's basic tone is better than either of the others. The three Oscillators are all amazing and you can use all three together and still have really nice creamy sounds and tones. But it is a GENTLE GIANT sound wise. I already miss the levels of distortion that is possible with the Sub 37. I didn't use the distortion capacity on the sub 37 to make grinding harsh sounds-- but I did use it with two oscillators and and the 18 pole setting on the filter with the filter cutoff set pretty open to get just the most beautiful distorted mid and high range sounds imaginable and you cannot get those out of the Model D.

I cannot and don't want to keep both of them. I like simplicity so the Mothers are my drone machines and it is either the sub 37 or the Model D that I am keeping. I am going to have to play with my band for a while and just see which I like better overall. They are both really nice instruments. The keyboard on the model D is so much better it is not even close. The velocity sensitivity on the sub 37 is awful and is is just perfect and amazing on the Model D-- the trim pot allows you to dial in exactly the right sensitivity for your tastes.

Basically I am right now trying to find a way to get the exquisitely beautiful distortion levels that the sub 37 naturally has out of a pedal. I am just researching that now. If I can find a quality pedal that can give subtle and beautiful distortion without cheapening the D's tone then there is no question the the Model D is better for me-- but I miss that distortion. If the sub 37 was an RME I might consider keeping both and running the Model D through that filter for that sound but I refuse to have two keyboards in my rig.

If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to answer them for you.

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:15 pm

I also meant to add that even though the envelopes are limited on the Model D as compared to the Sub 37, I like the way they behave WAY better on the Model D. Even without oscillator sinc these envelopes are very punchy but without being clicky and the decay goes on for like 30 plus seconds. Also when playing bass on the sub 37 a long decay always created this sort of ringing tone to the bass and I disliked it enough to not use decay all that much. Not so with the Model D.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:52 pm

Sub,
Modular is nice because you can keep the oscillators and envelopes you want and get the module which gives you the distortion you are looking for (OTA distortion and FET drive).
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.