New Model D ?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
sub guy

Re: New Model D ?

Post by sub guy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:10 am

EricK wrote:Sub,
Modular is nice because you can keep the oscillators and envelopes you want and get the module which gives you the distortion you are looking for (OTA distortion and FET drive).

Hey man-- who builds those? Link? I may look into that as a solution because whatever I get has got so sound goooood. It cannot cheapen the sound of my D at all or whats the point?

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:53 am

Sub guy, you HAVE to try out the feedback trick on your Minimoog. Take a short 1/4" jack and plug the LOW MAIN OUTPUT into the INPUT EXT. SIGNAL on the back. Then, flip the EXTERNAL INPUT VOLUME switch to "ON", and slowly raise the associated volume knob, until the OVERLOAD lamp starts to light up (whilst playing a note of course). And listen to that distortion. No other synth sounds like that either.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:06 am

thealien666 wrote:Sub guy, you HAVE to try out the feedback trick on your Minimoog. Take a short 1/4" jack and plug the LOW MAIN OUTPUT into the INPUT EXT. SIGNAL on the back. Then, flip the EXTERNAL INPUT VOLUME switch to "ON", and slowly raise the associated volume knob, until the OVERLOAD lamp starts to light up (whilst playing a note of course). And listen to that distortion. No other synth sounds like that either.

Are you talking about the new model D? I was under the impression that there was no need to use cord to make that happen on this new unit? If I am wrong I once again reveal how little I still know about synthesis. :oops:

Edit-- that function is normalized on the new D and it does sound amazing but I would say that in the Sub 37 it is equally amazing if not even better. I don't know the specific language used to describe the beats in an oscillators sound but in the sub 37 when you use two oscillators set to an 18 pole filter with feedback turned up and overdrive up a little, the way that synth captures the oscillators drifting is just crystal clear and really pronounced. More pronounced than the the mother 32's or the D. That is one area where as far as I can tell the sub 37 outshines the D.

Heresy?

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:37 am

Did you try the out/extin loop to ger a more "distorted "sound, and if so, what was the effect to your opinion ?

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:42 pm

UPDATE

Ok so today is the first time I got the chance to play in my band. The model d is WAY bigger than the sub 37. Everyone in the band liked it better so its pretty much decided that I keep the D

I tried the feedback on the new Model dD. It does sound amazing. All I am saying is any synth is going to have it's sweet spots that are unique and that no other synth can do. I could make due with any Moog synth and be happy.