Animoog

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Dant

Animoog

Post by Dant » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:26 pm

Hello, can anybody tell me if there are some similarities between Animoog for iPad/iPhone and The Moog Sub 37. The thing is that I want to know if I buy the Animoog (which is the only way that I can afford a Moog synth) I can do the same or similar stuff than with the Moog Sub 37.

Sorry if this post is a little bit silly, but nobody's born knowing. Thanks

ImNotDedYet

Re: Animoog

Post by ImNotDedYet » Mon May 02, 2016 9:53 am

The synthesis types are completely different. The Sub37 is your typical analog subtractive synth with oscillators going into a filter into a VCA. Animoog is Anisotropic in its synthesis. My understanding and playing is to pick a point (or points) on a graph, modify x and y values to produce orbits around those points, and that's what goes into the filter, then the "VCA." I'm sure you can approximate the oscillator shapes with Animoog, although I've not tried exactly.

In essence, Animoog is one of the best synths from a sound perspective on iOS, easily worth the price IMO. The filter produces a great sound for an iOS app. There are also a number of extensions available through the store to get sounds similar to what you can get from say, the Voyager, etc.

So, should you buy it to get a Moog sound? I would say yes, even if you're not necessarily looking for a Moog sound.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Mon May 02, 2016 3:44 pm

Not a silly question at all - it's a very good question actually.

As ImNotDedYet has already explained, the Sub 37 and the Animoog app are very different animals. But to my ears, Animoog does sound distinctly 'Moogish' and is a lot of fun to experiment with. The Sub 37 is a brilliant and inspirational instrument (for me anyway) but it does come with a hefty price tag.

The Sub 37 also has a fairly steep learning curve if you want to go beyond the presets and design your own sounds (assuming you have no experience of working with analogue subtractive synthesis). Animoog allows you to create and experiment intuitively without getting bogged down in the details.

I've had hours of fun with Animoog, and even though I haven't used it on any recordings yet, I probably will when the right piece comes along.

When I was an impoverished student I was soldering up my own synths from designs in electronics magazines (PE MiniSonic II, ETI Trancendent 2000 etc.). I would have loved to have had something like Animoog for such a low cost back then.

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Tue May 03, 2016 9:23 am

Moog just released the Model 15 app as well. It requires a beefy iPad, but the demo sounds fantastic!

http://www.moogmusic.com/products/apps/model-15-app

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/model-1 ... mpt=uo%3D4

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Wed May 04, 2016 6:34 pm

The Model 15 app looks and sounds absolutely astonishing.

I don't have the iPad hardware to do it justice at the moment and I don't think I'd get the full experience on my iPhone 5c so I wont even go there.

To the OP, get the Model 15 app if you want to learn about classic subtractive synthesis and have a whale of a time while you're doing so.

Apps are just apps and this is no substitute for having the real knobs and patch cords in front of you on the panel, but considering the price, and the authenticity of the sound, just go for it :D

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Thu May 05, 2016 10:08 am

Model 15 app?!?!?! WOOHOOO!Thank god I brought my IPad Pro on vacation! Time to get into some sweet Moog Soft Patching :-) I love Filatron!! One of my first (of many, many) music apps.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.