Sub 37 Tribute vs Voyager RME

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
MTtaur

Sub 37 Tribute vs Voyager RME

Post by MTtaur » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:29 am

Been thinking about adding to my arsenal, but I'm torn between getting a Voyager RME or a Sub 37 Tribute. I currently have a Minitaur and a SlimPhatty, and a MIDI rig to run them; as well as a ton of soft synths (everything by NI, Alchemy, Albino, etc). I'm a synth vet, so I know my way around the controls and how the architecture effects sounds, etc. I really like the modern options in the Sub 37 (arp/seq, OD effects, DAHDSR filter, routing capabilities, etc.), but I also like the classic tried-and-true Voyager sound. One thing I don't like about the Sub 37 is the square wave sub. If it had at least a saw or square options, I'd be more psyched. I'm just not a big fan of square wave sounds. I haven't actually played either - just watched demos. So... Anyone out there played and tinkered with both? Which do you prefer? What are the sound potentials/overall capabilities of either (ie - one is best for bass/leads, sound effects/space music, one is grungy one is clean, etc). Are there any plans for a new Sub 37 with some more updates (such as just having 3 osc's and 3 tone polyphony)?

Stevie Ray

Re: Sub 37 Tribute vs Voyager RME

Post by Stevie Ray » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:14 pm

I don't have an RME but I have a regular Voyager and a Sub 37. The Sub 37 wasn't around when I bought my Voyager but if I was considering the purchase today I'd go with the Sub 37 and use the money saved on other gear. Of course the Voyager has three oscillators compared to the Sub 37s two. The Sub 37 has greater modulation routing possibilities and a nice sequencer, retriggering envelopes etc. - it's just more advanced all round in my opinion. I rarely use all three oscillators in my patches so don't miss that feature much. I rarely use sub-osc either. The Voyager has more external inputs and outputs. As for sounds, you must be the judge of that. I think the Sub 37 is pretty versatile and to my ears sounds as good as the Voyager in most applications and it can make some sounds the Voyager simply can't. It also has 'duophony' which is something I don't find particularly musically useful - if I want to hit more than one key I use something other than a Moog.

As for a souped-up Sub 37, I think that is very likely. The flagship Voyager is discontinued and there's now a heck of a gap in Moog's product range between the Sub 37 and the big modular systems. Considering the release of the Korg Minilogue with 4 analogue voices, I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with a polyphonic version (probably still 2 oscillators per voice) and hopefully a 4 octave keyboard. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:34 pm

The Solar Powered NC Sub37!!!. Having an XL, if i did it again, i would get the Sub37 first, no questions ask. Its edgy, modern sounding, with a flare for the future. Now with that said, folks would have to pry the XL from my hands cause it's just awesome, but get current first, entertain buying old school later. Oh, an a Sub37 with a Minitaur ... SONIC THUNDER ... Stadiums will fall !!!
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:50 pm

While playing devil's advocate...

I think the sub37 is a better "only Moog". That said, the sub37 isn't going anywhere. You'll be able to buy them new or used for the next several years, without a doubt. A voyager RME is already discontinued and will only get harder to find.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2