DSI Tetra

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
jsharpphoto

Re: DSI Tetra

Post by jsharpphoto » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:56 am

EnjoyRC wrote:
jsharpphoto wrote:I have a Minilogue on back order from sweetwater.
Yeah, I think the Sweetwater date is now 5/18
I'm probably going to cancel my preorder. The streichfett is going to hold me over until the OB-6 goes tabletop.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:46 am

jsharpphoto wrote:I have a Minilogue on back order from sweetwater. It was going to be my pad machine until DSI releases the OB-6 as a module. Then I started getting concerned with only 4 notes on polyphony. 4 is fine for chord stabs, but if you want more ethereal and evolving pads, you'll need more voices. Today my Waldorf Steichfett arrived. It nails the ethereal pad sounds and was $350. It has some pretty cool voice modulations.
I really like the Streichfett as well, even though it is kind of a one-trick pony. The 4-note poly on the Tetra is definitely borderline at times. I'd much prefer just one more note - but you work with what you got, right?

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:17 am

DonutDude wrote:
jsharpphoto wrote:I have a Minilogue on back order from sweetwater. It was going to be my pad machine until DSI releases the OB-6 as a module. Then I started getting concerned with only 4 notes on polyphony. 4 is fine for chord stabs, but if you want more ethereal and evolving pads, you'll need more voices. Today my Waldorf Steichfett arrived. It nails the ethereal pad sounds and was $350. It has some pretty cool voice modulations.
I really like the Streichfett as well, even though it is kind of a one-trick pony. The 4-note poly on the Tetra is definitely borderline at times. I'd much prefer just one more note - but you work with what you got, right?
I am going to try some midi tricks with the streichfett. Since the Strings and Solo can operate on unique channels, I'm going to try running ableton' arpeggiator on just the solo section, layered on top of the strings.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Kirneh Ness

Post by Kirneh Ness » Sun May 01, 2016 4:56 pm

I just got a great deal on the DSI Tetr4 (Completely new and unscratched demo deal). I heard it, and bought it (I was circling in on it, I am not that impulsive). I have so far spent all time exploring the patches and sequences. Not everything is fantastic, but many of the sounds are just amazing and very inspiring (even the poor sounding ones make you wonder how it is possible to make the sound - helpful in itself). 4-tone polyphony is really enough for most of what I do (I am mainly a guitar player). And you don't need to tweak much before you have changed everything. So there is usually a lot of 'tweakability' in the sounds.

I haven't checked the editor or VST software yet. I don't want to spend too much time on it. As with the Minitaur, these matters are not too interesting for me. My main objective is to record midi tracks and have the synth receive the MIDI, while I hit record and tweak the buttons. I won't be able to reproduce that exact recording, but as I am not playing live, it doesn't matter. I see the MIDI track as the equivalent of a DI-recorded guitar track. Having that, one can reamp with all kind of different pedals and amps. Likewise, I can "reamp" the MIDI file with the Minitaur or Tetr4 with new sounds if I am not happy with the current track. Or even combine tracks etc., etc., etc. If I wanted to generate the exact same sound every time I press play in the DAW, I should use a softsynth. It is kind of interesting how many resources people want to invest into making a real physical synthesizer into a VST :D

Only quibble is the lack of CV in- and outputs; but I knew that. But for the price, it is a great poly. And it really does fit on a desktop.
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Wed May 04, 2016 4:52 pm

DonutDude wrote: I really like the Streichfett as well, even though it is kind of a one-trick pony. The 4-note poly on the Tetra is definitely borderline at times. I'd much prefer just one more note - but you work with what you got, right?
I know exactly what you mean - that's why I have a 5-note polyphonic Little Phatty :-)

I like the sound of the Streichfett too. There is a lot more variation in it than a '1 trick pony', which is more of a Rocket thing, or 2-pole even; I guess that's a '2 trick pony' though? :-)

I like Waldorf Synth's. During my sell off's they seems to always make the grade. I have a Microwave XT, Micro-Q, and a Bloefeld; which is kind of wacked.

I would like to add a Tetra module yet my MoPho 2-octave keyboard, depending on whether a Tetra module is 4 times a Mopho (yes!), and not 1/2 a P08 (boo!!!).
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.