Voyager RME or 3 Mother 32's

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
franklinstower

Voyager RME or 3 Mother 32's

Post by franklinstower » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:48 am

I know its all just opinion but I am trying to decide between these two options. Either a Voyager RME or 3 Mother 32's

Playing bass in an improvisational jam/folk band on a sub 37 and wanted a unit to do drones with while playing bass also-- all live playing.

The mother 32 option gives me two oscillators to do drones with and a 3rd oscillator for my sub 37. Not sure what the voyager gives me except to downgrade my sub 37 into a drone machine. :D Space is often an issue playing live which is all we do so the built in keybed of the Mothers would be sufficient for drones and wouldn't need another external keybed. I am kind of leaning towards the Mothers but would like some input. The sub 37 is my first synth ever so I am new still. The 3 mothers and an amplifier come in at the same price as just the Voyager.

I have heard that the Mothers oscillators are wonderful also. Any and all input would be appreciated.

Istvan

Re: Voyager RME or 3 Mother 32's

Post by Istvan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:38 am

There's a lot of dedicated drone boxes out there that won't cost you much, if that's all you're wanting to do with one unit.

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:51 pm

I looked into those a year or so ago but just didn't care for them. The Mothers sound so good as does the voyager. I definitely want to go with the highest quality I can. Plus a third oscillator for the sub 37 sounds great.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:55 pm

As a Voyager owner, and a double M-32 owner as well, I'd encourage you to go the triple M-32 route. The drone sounds that I can get out of two Mother's is jaw-droppingly beautiful. I can't quite get that same sound out of my Voyager or my friend's SubPhatty. I've recently added two Werkstatt's to the Mother's and I'm in Drone Hog Heaven. What's really cool is to shift the drone notes by playing either or both miniature keybeds.

Stephen

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:52 am

^^^^^^^

Thanks for the reply man. Its good to hear coming from someone that has both. I am drawn to the mother 32 -- that may be totally because of the excellent marketing that Moog has done with them but I wanted on since they came out. I have heard on other forums that the oscillators sound excellent. Got my tax returns and can just pay cash.

I've got a question for you. If I want to add one of those mothers to my sub 37 via midi is that something that can only be set up by using a computer or is it just plug and play?

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:09 pm

I don't know the Sub37 very well so can't address that end of things.

The M-32 has MIDI in and no computer needed to set it up. Hope that answers your questions.

Stephen

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:56 pm

Got two of them yesterday. Third one is on the way shipping but I am not sure i will want the third one. I use the sub 37 to play smooth bass and honestly one oscillator is probably enough for that. Not sure I need to add a Mother to the Sub now that I have my two mother drone machine..

Thanks for the reply man.