Social Entropy Engine and Octatrack Similar?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
HookedOnSonics

Social Entropy Engine and Octatrack Similar?

Post by HookedOnSonics » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:37 pm

Hope we're not becoming a pain or high maintenance with these questions. We have been researching SE Engine, Octatrack, and Criklon all weekend prepping for purchase of one of them. The SE Engine site had this to say about the Engine:

"Engine is a powerful multitrack step sequencer with 8 polyphonic tracks for recording both melodic and percussion patterns. Pattern chaining, snapshots and a song mode help move your ideas from simple loops to completed songs. The six performance knobs can be used to control external devices or the built-in performance effects system, which includes velocity and gate offsets and ratcheting. Engine includes comprehensive editing features to fine tune your performance, with rotation, cut/copy/paste for both patterns and individual steps".

Question: Is the Engine similar to the Octatrack?
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

dave808

Re: Social Entropy Engine and Octatrack Similar?

Post by dave808 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:13 pm

No!

The Engine's sequencer is a bit more advanced than the Octatrack's sequencer. The Engine can do step skip like a Moog 960 sequencer, the Octatrack cannot. Elektron's sequencer implementations are rather basic with note on or note off (mute), plus a 8 x CV/Gate expansion board is coming soon for the Engine for sequencing/controlling modular or analog synths. The only thing the Engine does not do is sampling.

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:45 pm

Thanks for replying Dave. We've been really leaning towards the SE Engine and had been in email conversations with the folk there at SE about the CV/Gate expansion board. Do you have the SE Engine now or Octatrack? Tried to find out more about the SE Engine from Sweetwater website, but it looks like they don't use Sweetwater for distribution.

Can you talk about the Sampling options that the OctaTrack has, not sure if we need something like that.

Thanks BIG TIME for all insight/feedback!!!
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

dave808

Post by dave808 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:38 am

I don't have either (Engine or Octatrack) tbh. There is a entire thread on GS dedicated to the Engine sequencer,
and entire threads on Elektronauts on the Octatrack, suggest you check 'em out.

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:56 pm

@hookedonsonics

I would also take a look at the Squarp Pyramid. They're a new company from France that is run by some really nice and forward-thinking people. I have a unit on order and should receive it soon. I have been between it and the Cirklon myself. The only thing killing the Cirklon for me is the price, but it really is the ultimate midi sequencer.

Anyway, check them out before you decide on the Engine. Could be a good option for you.

cheers. :mrgreen:
Minimoog Model D / Moog Little Phatty TE / DSI Prophet 08 / Elektron Digitone / Elektron Octatrack Mkii / Clavia Nord Wave / Nord Drum II / Clavia Nord Lead 3 / Roland TR-707 / Roland TB-03 / Korg MS-20 / Access Virus TI 2 Polar / Roland SH-101 /:mrgreen:

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:56 pm

SpitFire...

We like the Squarp Pyramid and the SE Engine. Will be trolling to see how you like the SP once your up and running. Tonight we wrote to Sequentix to get a quote from them on the Criklon with CVIO sidecar. The only concern we have with the Criklon is the old school 25 PIN cable need for the CVIO. This would be a real home run for us if it was part of the board and not a side car. We would hope they are looking at changing that. Thats what attracted us to the Engine, for us its about MIDI and CV/Gate in an all-in-one. Speaking about all-in-one, just received our three moms today... :-)

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:45 am

HookedOnSonics wrote:SpitFire...

We like the Squarp Pyramid and the SE Engine. Will be trolling to see how you like the SP once your up and running. Tonight we wrote to Sequentix to get a quote from them on the Criklon with CVIO sidecar. The only concern we have with the Criklon is the old school 25 PIN cable need for the CVIO. This would be a real home run for us if it was part of the board and not a side car. We would hope they are looking at changing that. Thats what attracted us to the Engine, for us its about MIDI and CV/Gate in an all-in-one. Speaking about all-in-one, just received our three moms today... :-)
And what about the beatstep pro that you just got isn't doing it for you?
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:46 pm

Schools still in session on BSP. Looking at the capabilities between the BSP, SE Engine, Cirklon, OctaTrack, and S Pyramid. All very very cool. We have the BSP here, have not unboxed yet. We're finding correspondents between some of the SEQ companies real interesting. Product support and longevity is also interesting. It would be cool to have a real "CONSUMER REPORTS" for musicians and hobbyist done yearly. Curious way some don't use folks like Sweetwater. Sweetwater's two year warranty coverage gives us a warm and fuzzy when we are purchasing devices we have little or no experience with.

Some of the websites seem like someone should hang a shingle on them that reads, currently out of product, gone fishing, don't call us, we'll call you...really? :-)

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:14 am

HookedOnSonics wrote:Schools still in session on BSP. Looking at the capabilities between the BSP, SE Engine, Cirklon, OctaTrack, and S Pyramid. All very very cool. We have the BSP here, have not unboxed yet. We're finding correspondents between some of the SEQ companies real interesting. Product support and longevity is also interesting. It would be cool to have a real "CONSUMER REPORTS" for musicians and hobbyist done yearly. Curious way some don't use folks like Sweetwater. Sweetwater's two year warranty coverage gives us a warm and fuzzy when we are purchasing devices we have little or no experience with.

Some of the websites seem like someone should hang a shingle on them that reads, currently out of product, gone fishing, don't call us, we'll call you...really? :-)
I buy everything from Sweetwater.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:31 am

JSharpPhoto,

Great Scott Mr Wilson, now we really feel dumb, something you said earlier just hit us like a ton of bricks, you said "I use the Attenuator on the XL" ... :-), OMGosh, ok I'm wearing my dunce cap as we write this. We have an XL and have been staring at the Attenuator for months wondering what its for. WTHeck, so are friends in Ashville really thought this thru with connecting to 10v in the future. Would it be logical to think that we can connect a 10v CV or Gate from the BSP to a "IN" on the Attenuator on the XL and then take the Attenuator "OUT", plug into a CV or Gate "IN" on the XL or something to that effect? We notice that the Attenuator on the XL can go from -5v to +5v

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:45 pm

HookedOnSonics wrote:JSharpPhoto,

Great Scott Mr Wilson, now we really feel dumb, something you said earlier just hit us like a ton of bricks, you said "I use the Attenuator on the XL" ... :-), OMGosh, ok I'm wearing my dunce cap as we write this. We have an XL and have been staring at the Attenuator for months wondering what its for. WTHeck, so are friends in Ashville really thought this thru with connecting to 10v in the future. Would it be logical to think that we can connect a 10v CV or Gate from the BSP to a "IN" on the Attenuator on the XL and then take the Attenuator "OUT", plug into a CV or Gate "IN" on the XL or something to that effect? We notice that the Attenuator on the XL can go from -5v to +5v
Correct. Depending on what the signal is going to, you might not need to Attenuate it, you might just need to Offset it. Some of the CV's can do +/- 5v (10v point to point) some can only handle 0-5v. But again, you have the option of Midi on the the Voyager, so I would stick with that. Just because the attenuators and offsets are built in to the voyager, doesn't mean you have to USE them for the voyager. I use mine when to modify or mix voltage for my modular, which is sitting directly above the XL.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2