Some advice please from a novice!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
markwa

Some advice please from a novice!

Post by markwa » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:25 am

New to the forum and would like some advice from all of you pro's out there :)

Its been about 40 years since I played any form of keyboard (yes I am old !)

However I really do fancy getting a Moog Sub37 after reading and seeing some of the demos online out there on the net

Always loved the sound from a Moog and yes I was a real fan of Keith Emerson who;s death as really hit me hard !

Just welcome some views as to whether I would be wasting my time not being a musciain as such?

Thanks

franklinstower

Re: Some advice please from a novice!

Post by franklinstower » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:11 am

I am an aspiring musician. I've got a band and we have high hopes and a very unique approach that I think will come to fruition in a few more years of practice. I bought the sub 37 to play bass in that band and spend a couple hours a day on it practicing and experimenting. It is just amazing and wonderful to listen to and experiment on and whether or not my band ever comes to fruition I have found time spent on it well worth it and would never regret buying it.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:21 am

Engaging in something that brings you joy is NEVER a waste of time. You only live once.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

captainkidd

Post by captainkidd » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:18 am

EricK wrote:Engaging in something that brings you joy is NEVER a waste of time. You only live once.
Yeah I find this very true. To the OP, you at least have a head start in that in can/did play keyboards before. I have never really played keyboard, I've actually "messed" around with drumming as a hobby for about 40 years myself (yeah I am old too). I am not very good, Unfortunatly just don't exactly have that musical gene in me. That's one reason why I have a nice electronic kit so I can just put my headphones on and not bother anyone else. I too have recently jumped into Synths, mostly due to the discovering the SUB 37 and have now aquired several peices of Synth gear. Just do it!

markwa

Post by markwa » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:14 pm

Thanks to all the have replied, I can hear the sound of my credit card coming out o fmy wallet :D

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:24 pm

markwa wrote:(yes I am old !)
Welcome! I was a keyboard players in the '80s and '90s (yes, I am old too!) who left the instrument for decades. The Sub37 brought me back into synths. It absolutely does the classic sounds you know and love from the past.

captainkidd

Post by captainkidd » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:25 pm

MoogProg wrote:
markwa wrote:(yes I am old !)
The Sub37 brought me back into synths. It absolutely does the classic sounds you know and love from the past.
Yeah that is exactly what I was getting at. I first saw the SUB 37 and SUB Phatty at a local music shop and just started messing with it. I too was thinking "Man this is a Moog and it's pretty affordable".
I know the 37 isn't exactly a Voyager or Moog Modular but still I kind consider it the "Gate Drug" to Synths/Moog. :D