NAMM impressions

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
DrJohn

NAMM impressions

Post by DrJohn » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:57 am

Just back from the show...(with Yamaha, btw).

A few random impressions... Moog Island was quite innovative and allowed plenty of access...somewhat surprised to see no mini- or mooger- foogers as part of the stations, although there may have been some somewhere. Definitely an exhibit for the Mother 32, which is on my wish list. Quality and sounds great. Sorry to say there was really no one to speak with...two persons jamming at the master station, but that's it. Maybe my suit and Yamaha badge put them off! :D There was a single Sub37 and a smaller modular setup.

Met Tom Oberheim at his small booth...reminiscent of meeting Bob Moog ten years ago... Very gracious and personally showed me a new Euro-rack SEM with integrated sequencer. Same guts as the full size SEM... Which I have to say, I didn't care for. (The full size two voice, that is). Felt very 70s and not in a good way. I got the distinct feeling that he's definitely interested in going Euro...the collaboration with Dave Smith notwithstanding.

Of the other modular companies, Pittsburgh Modular really impressed. Wonderful hardware and great customer interaction. As you know, getting a really good demo at the noise level of the show floor is rather impossible.

HookedOnSonics

Re: NAMM impressions

Post by HookedOnSonics » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:49 pm

So the Montage looks and sounds NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Did you get a chance to try the Arturia MatrixBrute?
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

DrJohn

Post by DrJohn » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:22 am

HookedOnSonics wrote:So the Montage looks and sounds NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Did you get a chance to try the Arturia MatrixBrute?
Yes. It should be very popular, but the high price tag will be an issue. Seems rather feature packed, though, and the different sound of the filter will appeal to many. The Montage will come in the usual variety of sizes. Really an expanded Motif. The Yamaha Reface series were much much better in person. Especially the CS-80 emulation. Would pair wonderfully with Moog gear.

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:32 am

DrJohn wrote:.......Sorry to say there was really no one to speak with....
YES, as I said.........they had been all off for their new sparetime engagements,.................i.ex. fishing, or learn knitting.................very likely...................
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

MC

Post by MC » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:31 pm

I played the Moog 15 at the booth. Wow did that sound niiiiiice.

NAMM broke attendance records this year. Friday was crazy with crowds of people, I skipped Saturday to see a friend as that is usually the worse NAMM day and Friday was bad enough for me!

Met some old friends, made some new friends. Met Gene Stopp at Moog and we talked a lot of shop. Gene won the TEC award for best modular recreation at NAMM, he was proud of that one as the modulars were his baby.

The big winners this year are the OB-6, Mother-32, KARP Odyssey, and modular synths. Modular Alley was always crowded, I never dreamed there would be so much interest over modular synths.

Biggest disappointment: Minilogue and Roland modules. Anemic and thin, ugh. Never made it to Yamaha.

Arturia has an interesting beast with the MatrixBrute but too buzzy sounding for my taste and it's a paraphonic two voice. I liked that matrix/sequencer interface, very intuitive. BigCityMusic had the Schmidt monster polysynth, I can't offer a fair assessment from a 15 minute play on the show floor because that thing is DEEP, I would need at least two days to get my head around that thing.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

luckynerd

Post by luckynerd » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:05 pm

I met so many wonderful people this year--I'm very glad I went! So's the friend I took, who had never been to NAMM before. :)

In random order:

LOVED the Mother32!
Felt surreal to play a Moog 15 that was made this century.
The OB6 totally deserved Best In Show.
I love all the different Eurorack manufacturers!
I want to own a few pieces from Pittsburgh Modulars!
Learn To Fix

Moog T1 Pedal Contact Board Upgrade: http://www.minimoog.net/daphne/moog-tau ... act-board/

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:43 pm

Has anyone here played the OB-6 yet? I'm thinking it would pair perfectly with the Taurus-3.

MC

Post by MC » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:09 pm

superd2112 wrote:Has anyone here played the OB-6 yet? I'm thinking it would pair perfectly with the Taurus-3.
I played the OB-6 at NAMM. It has that Oberheim sound (closer to Xpander but still Oberheim) and would be a good pairing with the T3.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi