What would you ask the Moog folks at NAMM

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
HookedOnSonics

What would you ask the Moog folks at NAMM

Post by HookedOnSonics » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:53 pm

We would like to know if there will be Real-Time Seq recording in the future on the Mother-32's and is the surface plates of the Mothers being looked into for better protection against ease of scratching?
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

Blackout

Re: What would you ask the Moog folks at NAMM

Post by Blackout » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:44 am

i would like to know....where is the new Poly Moog?

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:58 pm

How much are the side covers for the new Mother-32 Four tier rack?
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:08 pm

The obvious and most asked question of the last 10 years: when will Moog Music offer a modern polyphonic synth (À la Memorymoog) ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

pnorris79

Post by pnorris79 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:32 pm

how many cacti is that?

Vince Ascoli

Post by Vince Ascoli » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:23 pm

thealien666 wrote:The obvious and most asked question of the last 10 years: when will Moog Music offer a modern polyphonic synth (À la Memorymoog) ?
Same here! I Have two Voyagers and love them dearly, the modular community has all my love and respect but I don't own or use those instruments. +1 for the modern Memorymoog.
Voyager Select Maple Jade, Voyager Aluminum, Xpander, OB-8, Prophet~6, Virus Ti Pølar, DX5

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:57 pm

What will replace the Voyager and will it retain the analogue board Bob designed?

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:15 am

What the ... we never heard a memory moog till now. The XL and Mothers were our first acquired Moogs, had no idea this was part of the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1i8hsL ... e=youtu.be

Our ears will never be the same ... WOW.

Come on Moog ... Go The Distance ... If You Build It, We will BUY!!!

A Field of MEMORIES!!!

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:43 am

I`d ask the "new" Moog guys, if the`ve ever seen a polyphonic instrument in their life..............................
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:45 pm

The more and more we research the memory, we just don't get it, why did Moog discontinue something that sounds more current today then anything out there now, wow ... and with all do respect to the keyboards out today, this board would still be relevant, and smack....., updated circuitry, ARMAGEDDON!!!

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:31 pm

HookedOnSonics wrote:The more and more we research the memory, we just don't get it, why did Moog discontinue something that sounds more current today then anything out there now, wow ... and with all do respect to the keyboards out today, this board would still be relevant, and smack....., updated circuitry, ARMAGEDDON!!!

Just to bring you up-to-date, and refresh everyone's memory (pun intended), at the time of the introduction of the Memorymoog back in the early eighties, the Moog Music company then (nothing to do with the current Moog Music Inc. by the way) was in serious financial difficulties and was bought by Norlin Industries (the owners of the Gibson guitars brand back then), and stopped making synths altogether after a while and sold the left over stocks in the warehouse at very low liquidation bargain prices.

You have to also remember that analog synths in those days were on their way out. The new buzz word then was "Digital" ! :roll:

BTW, the Memorymoog, much like the Prophet 5, OB8, and quite a few other synths of the same era, was mainly a Curtis chip synth. Only the 6 famous Moog ladder filter (1 per voice) and the 3 oscillators per voice made it stand out agains't other models (and still does today, despite all the reliability problems it suffers from).

But with the current Moog Music and with today's technology, a modern day Memorymoog would not be that difficult to do. The only obstacle would be the insanely high price the company would be asking for it... (imagine 6 Voyagers in one box for a 6 voice only polyphonic synth ! :shock: And forget about a proper 8 voice poly ! :twisted: )

So, we can keep on dreaming because I'm far from convinced that Moog will ever come out with a reasonably affordable (but still expensive) polyphonic synth anytime soon... (I secretly hope I'm proven wrong)
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

benulous

Post by benulous » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:48 pm

I'd like to know if they're going to be selling any of those expanded Mother-32 racks/stands they are showing on the NAMM floor. The only ones available to purchase (when actually in stock) are the 2 and 3-tier stands.
-Ben
http://www.facebook.com/slowearth
http://www.slowearth.bandcamp.com
White Voyager XL, 2xM32s, Theremini, 7xMoogerfoogers, NordLead2, Access Indigo2, Eventide Space, Alesis Wedge
Bass Guitars (Moog Drive, FX25, SYB5, FX72, ODB3, Markbass Compressore)

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:06 am

>> imagine 6 Voyagers in one box for a 6 voice only polyphonic synth << Ah, now i see. Now we wonder if the Sub37 was a step in a direction to one day getting back to some sort of Poly. I think some of the boards that came out this week sound awesome and cool but maybe it's me, nothing sounded current/future like the Mothers and Minilogue. I just think both companies have something special here and priced it right. I'll be shocked if Moog can't come up with a cool Poly priced right for the future.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:59 pm

Alain,
By "far from convinced" does that mean you think they will have a polysynth in the near future? :)
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:39 pm

Can we make one single thread for people complaining about the lack of polyphony? I'm getting rather tired of opening threads titled one thing, expecting to read about that one thing, only to find out it's a bunch of people complaining that they don't have a polyphonic voyager.

Look. There are LOTS of polyphonic synths ranging from 500 to 20,000. If you want one of those, but them. If you are sad that Moog doesn't make one, buy a used memorymoog. It will likely cost the same on the vintage market as whatever mythical new polymoog would cost. Or just buy a bunch of minitaurs and polychain them like I did. Simple. Quite complaining.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2