What would you ask the Moog folks at NAMM

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Vondragonnoggin

Re: What would you ask the Moog folks at NAMM

Post by Vondragonnoggin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:53 pm

I'd like to ask them if they are still building per order now that they have seen the popularity of the Mother 32.
VCO+VCF+VCA+EG
8)

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:53 am

Where are the damn pedals???!!!! :twisted:

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:20 am

jsharpphoto wrote:Can we make one single thread for people complaining about the lack of polyphony? I'm getting rather tired of opening threads titled one thing, expecting to read about that one thing, only to find out it's a bunch of people complaining that they don't have a polyphonic voyager.

Look. There are LOTS of polyphonic synths ranging from 500 to 20,000. If you want one of those, but them. If you are sad that Moog doesn't make one, buy a used memorymoog. It will likely cost the same on the vintage market as whatever mythical new polymoog would cost. Or just buy a bunch of minitaurs and polychain them like I did. Simple. Quite complaining.
Agreed! Thank you. There is beauty in limitations/modularity (depending on how you look at it).
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:45 am

jsharpphoto wrote:Can we make one single thread for people complaining about the lack of polyphony? I'm getting rather tired of opening threads titled one thing, expecting to read about that one thing, only to find out it's a bunch of people complaining that they don't have a polyphonic voyager.

Look. There are LOTS of polyphonic synths ranging from 500 to 20,000. If you want one of those, but them. If you are sad that Moog doesn't make one, buy a used memorymoog. It will likely cost the same on the vintage market as whatever mythical new polymoog would cost. Or just buy a bunch of minitaurs and polychain them like I did. Simple. Quite complaining.
I would rather advise to make a thread as for a new poly to ask the MOOG factory guys to pack their bag and GO HOME........
Last edited by megavoice on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:12 pm

megavoice wrote:

I would rather advise to make thread as for a new poly to ask the MOOG factory guys to pack their bag and GO HOME........
I'm a little confused by your wording, but if I'm reading this right, it's pretty rude.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:12 pm

What would I ask? Where's my Taurus 3 editor? That's what I'd ask.
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:31 pm

I simply voiced what I would ask Moog Music folks at this years NAMM, like the title of this thread says.

As for the Memorymoog, first you've got to be able to find one in working condition for a reasonable price (between $3K and $5K depending on condition, not the crazy $10K+ we're seeing now), second you have to make sure that it was upgraded with a new PSU and overhauled (new bushings, new battery, new capacitors, better ventilation), and hope that none of the precious CEM chips will fail, and third it still offers only six voice polyphony.

Might as well settle for a brand new DSI OB-6.
But then again, you wouldn't get 3 oscillators per voice, and certainly no Moog ladder filter. Although the OB-6 sounds really really nice if you're looking for that creamy Oberheim sound. But even it, at only 6 voices, doesn't quite offer what the OB-8 had with its 8 voices.

That's why I would as Moog Music why they don't hop on the all analog polyphonic band wagon and offer us something like a modernized MM. They almost did it with the paraphonic Sub-37, so why not pull all the stops and go 3 oscillators per voice @ 8 voices polyphony ? It would be better than anything else currently offered by other manufacturers (except the Schmidt at over $20K ! :shock: ).
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

DrJohn

Post by DrJohn » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:42 am

benulous wrote:I'd like to know if they're going to be selling any of those expanded Mother-32 racks/stands they are showing on the NAMM floor. The only ones available to purchase (when actually in stock) are the 2 and 3-tier stands.

I may be wrong, but I only saw three-tiered setups at the Island of Moog booth. There were some stations that had additional (often non-Moog) effects, etc placed on top. Spent some time with a triple Mother 32 rack... Build quality and sound blew away anything at the show, to be honest.
Attachments
image.jpeg

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:19 am

jsharpphoto wrote:
megavoice wrote:

I would rather advise to make a thread as for a new poly to ask the MOOG factory guys to pack their bag and GO HOME........
I'm a little confused by your wording, but if I'm reading this right, it's pretty rude.
Originally i liked to wish the devil may take em...........but I give em the chance to look for a new hobby, like go fishing or sitting aside their granny and learn knitting..........
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:54 pm

>>I may be wrong, but I only saw three-tiered setups at the Island of Moog booth<<

Ahhhhh and yet, behind every third cati was the elusive FOUR TOP ... :-) Liking the four tops enclosed cased. Have not seen this available yet.
Attachments
Mother four top.jpg
Last edited by HookedOnSonics on Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

aisling

Post by aisling » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:18 pm

:( I'd ask why my minifooger delay went kaput after only 18 months (low usage, never around smoke, liquid, abuse) when I had a boss dd-3 last over 20 years. And being out of warranty antagonizes the situation. I bought moog pedals based on sound and "moog reputation," of built in USA quality craftsmanship. I have an RMA in process so I'm sure it will resolve eventually, nothing a little "patience" cant handle.

nickster

Post by nickster » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:08 pm

I guess my question would be, despite NAMM being over, when are the rumored 4 voice poly and model d remake going to hit the market. April would be a nice time if Moog does not wish to loose custom to other manufacturers. If the rumor is true then my hope is the mini is not priced for collectors only.

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:48 am

A 4 voice for 8ks, instead an 8 voice for 4ks.....................................?
**** with everyone.