WNAMM2016: Korg Minilogue

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Vondragonnoggin

Re: WNAMM2016: Korg Minilogue

Post by Vondragonnoggin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:49 am

I have had mine for about 5 days so far. Awesome synth. Bought my first Mother 32 on the 7th of January. Another on backorder. The Minilogue is unbielable machine at price point. The clocky filter thing is mostly hype. Fast envelopes on my modular behave the same way. The only time I have really heard is playing tye folter at self oscillation. It's a brilliant little synth that will remain in the stable. The Oscilloscope is a cool feature, but the tiny display is really all that's needed for some rudimentary menu items. All controls right on hand. Modes are well thought out.

Sure it doesn't have a million bells and whistles, but that's not why I bought it. I bought it because it's really easy to get great sounds out of and it was $499. There is nothing in that price range to compete. The Mother 32 is a different beast and every bit as genius. I have it driving my modular via cv and gate plus using multiples on the modular to patch cv and gate on to my Minibrute. I had planned on one new synth for my birthday (on the 7th) for about $1200. What I got was two incredible analog machines and the Mother can just get bigger and bigger plus interact perfectly with existing gear.
VCO+VCF+VCA+EG
8)

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:02 pm

Did you connect the Mini to the Mother?
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

Vondragonnoggin

Post by Vondragonnoggin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:17 pm

HookedOnSonics wrote:Did you connect the Mini to the Mother?

I haven't yet because only midi connect. I have a Roland MV8800 driving both the Mini and Mother. Mini has sync in and out but that is for connecting to the Volca series. It's not cv and gate. Beatstep Pro would be a good one to connect up to both and drive them.
VCO+VCF+VCA+EG
8)

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:34 pm

Sooooooooo, we're really new to the whole synth/midi stuff, learning allot here from you folks. We have three Mothers and a MiniLogue on the way from Sweetwater. Can they be intergrated? If so, what can we do? ... :-)
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

Vondragonnoggin

Post by Vondragonnoggin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:22 pm

HookedOnSonics wrote:Sooooooooo, we're really new to the whole synth/midi stuff, learning allot here from you folks. We have three Mothers and a MiniLogue on the way from Sweetwater. Can they be intergrated? If so, what can we do? ... :-)

They can be sequenced together via midi. I have a second Mother 32 coming so don't know yet how exactly I will slave one to the other but entirely possible to have one driving two more. An external sequencer as master, the Mother as master, or even Minilogue as master is possible I believe. They will talk Midi Time Code together and sync up. I haven't tried sending sequencer data out of the minilogue yet and don't know if possible. Possibly just time code. Probably easiest to get something like the Beatstep Pro to sequence all of it. Really cool sequencer with a lot of options including Volca pulse type sync out.
VCO+VCF+VCA+EG
8)

Vondragonnoggin

Post by Vondragonnoggin » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:40 pm

Reading through the manuals and Mother 32 can be set to receive pulse on rise (of wave) in as tempo and Minilogue set sync out to send pulse at top of wave out and they will sync together. So midi not needed. Also the Mother 32 does not seem to be able to not receive clock (starts sequencer) in midi settings, but can divide clock by tempo knob to where it matches up with notes in a sequence being sent to it. Mother 32 will respond to note changes while its sequencer runs, so setting the right clock division just makes it act as if it is playing external sequence normally, but actually the Mother 32 sequencer is synced.

I did this sequencing it with my mv8800. Single notes in 2 measure sequence and set clock divisions with Mother 32 tempo knob to where it was playing the exact sequence with internal sequencer synced to mv8800.

Some cool options I hadn't explored yet. Minilogue cannot turn off start/stop receive either. MV8800 cannot turn off start/stop send in global that I have found yet, so have to come up with some interesting ways to run sequencers synced. Its workable though.
VCO+VCF+VCA+EG
8)

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:11 am

Any way you could noggin :-) around with the two connected and put it up on Youtube or Soundcloud? It would be cool to hear something from the integration. We talk to SW Friday, looks like we are not getting our Mothers and Mini till Feb 6 ... :-(

Vondragonnoggin

Post by Vondragonnoggin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:06 pm

Sorry, don't know anything about putting up youtube videos. I have a Soundcloud, but don't upload unless I have some good material, so will work on that one. I have just been experimenting with my mv8800 driving Mother 32 and Minilogue with KB and Gate outs to multiples on my modular and on to Minibrute CV pitch and Gate ins.

Today I will try to set the Mother to cv clock source and start a sequence on my mv8800 and see if it still sends start command to Mother 32 sequencer. On the Minilogue I already tried an init preset with no sequencer data and it still sends start for sequencer globally, so minilogue sequencer starts up even without sequence data in the preset. I will post whatever results. Just to be clear, they don't integrate soundwise unless you use the audio source in ability of either to take a raw wave and process through the filters and envelopes. The Mother 32 is doing that now with two oscillators from my modular. I have a square wave and a saw wave plugged into my modulars mixer and outs into Mother 32's external in jack. You can then blend the internal and external waveforms with Mother 32's mix knob (the one that is noise source if no external input).

No promises when I have something worth putting up on soundcloud, but eventually will have something.

Rest assured that your Mother 32's and the Minilogue will sound great together in a mix though. My second Mother 32 probably won't get to me until late feb or march. I'm not sure on a third yet. Some other Dreadbox modular stuff I'm very interested in. The beauty of all these little modular systems or semi-modular with cv patching and routing is that as long as you have the patch cables and mixer inputs ready to mix the devices, they can all sort of work as one giant modular setup.
VCO+VCF+VCA+EG
8)

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:21 pm

>> they can all sort of work as one giant modular setup.<<

This is kind of what we are hoping to accomplish ... :-0

Vondragonnoggin

Post by Vondragonnoggin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:20 pm

HookedOnSonics wrote:>> they can all sort of work as one giant modular setup.<<

This is kind of what we are hoping to accomplish ... :-0
Patching the output of the minilogue's straight oscillators into Mother 32's external in might be interesting.

I played with tempo source settings on the Mother 32 today. No way to bypass the sync receive if connected to Midi external sequencer. Has to be done by external sequencer. My mv8800 cannot turn off sync in pattern mode but can in song mode. It can still send Midi mmc amd mtc while sync off too, so quite a few options for me there. I noticed assignable out on the Mother 32 has some sequencer out settings. Getting to Mother 32's menu is really easy. Setting midi receive channel, tempo source, assignable outs all done by number keys after a four key sequence pressed to access menu. Very simple indicator lights by color to see where settings are.

Minilogue settings done very easy too. Has edit mode that can go into global, sequence, or preset and then the modes buttons work to change menus and single knob used to access features in those menus. All very easy.

Just remember the features are a bit limited and that is as it should be. Some options might get added with firmware updates, but these are bargain priced beauties that really are wonderful doing all they do for so little cost.

I have no complaints about either. Zero for what I paid. Working within limits is quite a nice way to work too. If you want a million options and more sound potential, I thonk there are synths out that cost many thousands of dollars that can do that. These don't cost that, so not expected. They are enough to really get a wide variety of sounds and even rythmic sequencing from. Really really like the way they both sound.

If you were to drive both instruments with a beatstep pro or similar sequencer, I think it would just be some audio nirvana, but you don't even need that to start having fun with them.
VCO+VCF+VCA+EG
8)

AndyQ

Post by AndyQ » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:42 pm

Flareless wrote:By "slim keys" do they mean "mini-keyboard"? What is up with all these companies (Yamaha I'm looking at you) releasing keyboards with keys that only children and slim women (or guys) can play?:
I've got pretty damn fat fingers too but I don't understand the anti-mini-key thing. This is a four voice synth, you're not going to be playing it like a piano, and there are plenty of "keyboards" that by tradition were never as big as piano keys (think piano accordions, melodicas, all those whacky modular synth touch keyboards) - just think of it as a different instrument, with a different interface. Do Viola players complain about violins not having full-size strings? Hell - there are plenty of guitarists picking up mandolins and ukeles and they seem to cope. This Minilogue looks fantastic - a real analogue poly at a very reasonable price with knobs for almost everything and (by all reports) good build quality. I've already got my children on ebay so I can raise the cash.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:50 am

AndyQ wrote:[...]there are plenty of "keyboards" that by tradition were never as big as piano keys (think piano accordions, melodicas, all those whacky modular synth touch keyboards) - just think of it as a different instrument, with a different interface. Do Viola players complain about violins not having full-size strings? Hell - there are plenty of guitarists picking up mandolins and ukeles and they seem to cope.
For an unexplained reason, I don't like the minikeys but that makes perfectly sense.

luckynerd

Post by luckynerd » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:44 pm

I toyed around with it for about 15 minutes at NAMM. I had fun with it. Someone I talked to about it (and the Ody that was next to it*) that day described it as sounding "thin," which I suppose it did. I don't mind that. I like to evaluate synths based upon the user-friendliness for people like me, who have been around synths for years but never learned how to patch. :lol:

*The new Ody is great! I'd buy one over a 20th century model. Sure, the pedigree isn't there, but the reliability is!
Learn To Fix

Moog T1 Pedal Contact Board Upgrade: http://www.minimoog.net/daphne/moog-tau ... act-board/

MC

Post by MC » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:02 pm

I also toyed with the Minilogue at NAMM. It wins my award as the most sterile anemic polysynth of the show. Korg did a much better job with the Karp Odyssey.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:22 pm

RC doing some pretty cool Minilogue patch work here - https://soundcloud.com/rcmusic35

We have the KARP, got it two months ago, love it, but disappointed that Korg did not say they were going to set the new price at $799, instead of the $999 we paid two months ago, we would have waited, never saw an instrument price fall that fast. Back ordered the Minilogue, maybe we should wait till that price falls to $299 this spring ... :-)