WNAMM2016: Korg Minilogue

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
luckynerd

Re: WNAMM2016: Korg Minilogue

Post by luckynerd » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:14 pm

MC wrote:I also toyed with the Minilogue at NAMM. It wins my award as the most sterile anemic polysynth of the show. Korg did a much better job with the Karp Odyssey.
But.... Emu's are sterile sounding and they're cool! ;)
Learn To Fix

Moog T1 Pedal Contact Board Upgrade: http://www.minimoog.net/daphne/moog-tau ... act-board/

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:38 pm

Which Emu's are you referring to just out of curiosity?

Stephen

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:46 pm

HookedOnSonics wrote:RC doing some pretty cool Minilogue patch work here - https://soundcloud.com/rcmusic35
Had a listen to this and I have to say that little to no part of it sounded appealing to my ear through quality studio monitors.

But then I'm partial to the sounds that a Voyager can come up with. I guess that $499 will only get you so much in the poly synth market.

OTOH, I'm blown away by how much $599 can purchase when buying a Mother32. I have two of them and sonically speaking they blow away most synths at twice the price. Maybe it's just me, but they sound better to my ear than anything Dave Smith has come out with. Though they exist in vastly different markets, I'm just talking about the pure sonic qualities of a simple drone that either of them can do.

Stephen

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:06 am

AndyQ wrote: - just think of it as a different instrument, with a different interface. Do Viola players complain about violins not having full-size strings? Hell - there are plenty of guitarists picking up mandolins and ukeles and they seem to cope.
^This. But with the caveat that string players don't simply "cope" with smaller scales instruments. Ukulele =/= Small Guitar in that I use different and often more efficient fingerings with the uke than I do on its larger cousin.

So, think about it... on mini-keys you can use different fingerings and reach much much wider intervals using one hand. This is a feature not a bug! :D I absolutely rock the MicroBrute, playing licks I could never pull off on a full-sized weighted 'board.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:18 pm

Perhaps. But a Ukulele was never designed to sound like a Gibson LesPaul and, despite his great musical talent, I can't imagine Jimmy Page playing an inspired Led Zeppelin lead on that... :roll: :wink:

Like thousands of keyboard players, I still prefer a full size keyboard with 5 octaves minimally.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:13 pm

If there was no such thing as Midi, do you think manufacturers would still be making mini-key synths?

Mini-keys have been around since when, the 80's, 70's? What company made the first one, and why? Piano training for children with small hands? Cheaper alternative to full-size key keyboards? Small and compact size for easy transportation?

What other instrument is like this - having a smaller version of the same thing? A Soprano Sax sounds different than a Tenor Sax so that doesn't count. The Violin isn't a smaller Cello, they are different instruments. What pros play kid-size drum kits? Who plays a practice guitar on stage?

I understand mini-keys are portable and cheap, but why are NEW synths with NEW sounds being produced only in portable and cheap packaging? If Korg, Yamaha and Roland really thought highly of their NEW synth engines and/or remakes wouldn't they feel pros and advanced amateur players would want a full-size version?

Just some thoughts. :)

MC

Post by MC » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:00 pm

Either put full size keys on the thing, or don't put anything at all on it. I trained my muscles on full size piano keys and it doesn't translate to minikeys. I will not pay extra $$$ for a controller that I can't use.

Anything with minikeys belongs in Toys-R-Us.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:24 pm

MC wrote:Either put full size keys on the thing, or don't put anything at all on it. I trained my muscles on full size piano keys and it doesn't translate to minikeys. I will not pay extra $$$ for a controller that I can't use.

I agree.

I also won't spend my money on a synth with knobs or sliders that are too small to use, like the Roland "Boutique" synths. On paper these synths seem like a good deal at a great price, until you try and use them and realize they are just over-priced toys.

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:45 pm

MC wrote:Either put full size keys on the thing, or don't put anything at all on it. I trained my muscles on full size piano keys and it doesn't translate to minikeys. I will not pay extra $$$ for a controller that I can't use.

Yes and yes. Minikeys are a damned joke, and whatever added cost ($10, $100, who cares) is not justified by adding them. A keyboard fit only for Edward Scissorhands doesn't belong. I tried to consider "well, they're there if you need them," but, well, I don't need those weak ass keys taking up space. A rack or desktop version of those synths would make much more sense. I mean, the minikeys on tiny synths I suppose could help someone just trigger a note to hear what the patch sounds like, but for that, I guess a "push it" button like the one conceived by Dave Smith might suffice. The only thing keeping me from buying the Karp Odyssey is the damned keys. a desktop version would've been great, or simply a full sized version for, what, $300-$400 more? Fine. Done deal. As for the minilogue... umm, just no. It's pretty cool looking, as I saw one in a store a few days ago, but damn that. I'm sure it's great, but it ain't for me. :mrgreen:

Now, I'm holding out to see if I can find a discontinued MS-20 kit somewhere so I can build a full sized MS20 with real keys...
Minimoog Model D / Moog Little Phatty TE / DSI Prophet 08 / Elektron Digitone / Elektron Octatrack Mkii / Clavia Nord Wave / Nord Drum II / Clavia Nord Lead 3 / Roland TR-707 / Roland TB-03 / Korg MS-20 / Access Virus TI 2 Polar / Roland SH-101 /:mrgreen:

luckynerd

Post by luckynerd » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:53 pm

Vsyevolod wrote:Which Emu's are you referring to just out of curiosity?

Stephen
Just the modulars. :)
Learn To Fix

Moog T1 Pedal Contact Board Upgrade: http://www.minimoog.net/daphne/moog-tau ... act-board/