Stomp Box Pedals that Work With Synths (Digital, Analog)

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
JohnLRice

Re: Stomp Box Pedals that Work With Synths (Digital, Analog)

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:19 pm

jsharpphoto wrote:Has anyone messed much with the TonePrint customization on any of the TC Electronic pedals?
Not yet. I downloaded the app but haven't even tried it yet.
John L Rice
MiniMoog, MinitMoog, MG-1, Sub Phatty, 5U modulars, Eurorack modulars

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:47 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
jsharpphoto wrote:Has anyone messed much with the TonePrint customization on any of the TC Electronic pedals?
Not yet. I downloaded the app but haven't even tried it yet.
Maybe we can start a thread dedicated to toneprints for the hall of fame/trinity/t2 since they are interchangeable. Every Moog needs a reverb, and not every Moog can have a bigsky or h9.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:31 am

I have used the TonePrint Editor a lot with the Flashback Delay.

Among the things you can edit on a single Flashback TonePrint:
Delay Time
Feedback
Saturation
Feedback High Cut
Feedback Low Cut
Output Level
Dynamic Delay Sensitivity
Damping
Release Time
Reverse Delay Time
Modulation Type
(Classic Chorus, Adv. Chorus, Classic Flange,
Adv. Flanger, Vibrato, Vibrato Ramp, Tri Chorus,
Tri Chorus Altn, Through Zero Flanger)
Modulation Speed
Depth 1
Depth 2
Depth 3
Hi Cut
Mix
Output Level
Delay Time 1
Delay Time 2
Delay Time 3
Feedback
Feedback High Cut

Plus, both the DELAY and FEEDBACK knobs can each be reassigned to simultaneously control up to three of the above parameters. And each of those three assignments can have their own separate response curve that can be graphically dragged on the editor.

Here are some examples of what the Flashback sounds like on Moogs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3K_fZDvINs
(Start at 1:42)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDXESToG4p8
(10:45, 21:55, 34:23)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq-d8F79aCQ
(7:07, 8:24, 11:37, 15:26)
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:46 am

To be clear, the TC Electronic Flashback is what I use when I'm looking for repeats that are basically exact copies of the original signal, delayed in time, alternating from hard left to hard right, and quieter with each repeat (no tonal changes).

I own two MF-104Ms and an MF-104MSD for when I want to "play" a delay by massaging the Delay TIME and FEEDBACK knobs.

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:38 pm

@_DemonDan_

Would that be the standard Flashback, or Flashback Triple Delay? Also, do you have to attenuate the signal in any way / do you experience any nasty signal overload issues? Just wanted a little more info before I add it to the list on page 1 of this thread.

cheers :mrgreen:
Minimoog Model D / Moog Little Phatty TE / DSI Prophet 08 / Elektron Digitone / Elektron Octatrack Mkii / Clavia Nord Wave / Nord Drum II / Clavia Nord Lead 3 / Roland TR-707 / Roland TB-03 / Korg MS-20 / Access Virus TI 2 Polar / Roland SH-101 /:mrgreen:

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:29 am

Spitfire wrote:Would that be the standard Flashback, or Flashback Triple Delay?
All three work great (Flashback, X4, Triple), but it's the Flashback that's in every one of the previously mentioned demos.
Spitfire wrote:Also, do you have to attenuate the signal in any way? Do you experience any nasty signal overload issues?
Nope, even the System 55 video went from System 55, through the Flashback, and into the recorder.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:37 am

I tried out the Hall of Fame reverb yesterday with my voyager and my modular. No signal level issues whatsoever. In fact, it sounded so good, I ordered another TC reverb so they wouldn't have to share.

I know everyone loves strymon stuff, but for the money, there is no better reverb pedal than the TC options.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:25 am

excellent feedback. the first post has been updated. :mrgreen:

personally, I'm a huge fan of Strymon both because of their products and their corporate culture. They actually communicate with you on Instagram, as opposed to simply posting up a bunch of crap designed to generate likes and followers and such. I'm definitely a fan. :mrgreen:
Minimoog Model D / Moog Little Phatty TE / DSI Prophet 08 / Elektron Digitone / Elektron Octatrack Mkii / Clavia Nord Wave / Nord Drum II / Clavia Nord Lead 3 / Roland TR-707 / Roland TB-03 / Korg MS-20 / Access Virus TI 2 Polar / Roland SH-101 /:mrgreen:

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:08 am

Curious if any of the folks here on the retailing side have had a drive by sound check of the new Strymon Euro "GENERLISSIMO". We realize its set for summer release, but thought folks would be kicking the tires by now. Between the General and the Mother, we are presented with more knobs and switches then there are in a cockpit of a Boeing Dreamliner. Folks are going need a pilots license to operate these on stage. Time for my mind to fly the friendly skys!!!
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:34 am

Spitfire wrote:excellent feedback. the first post has been updated. :mrgreen:

personally, I'm a huge fan of Strymon both because of their products and their corporate culture. They actually communicate with you on Instagram, as opposed to simply posting up a bunch of crap designed to generate likes and followers and such. I'm definitely a fan. :mrgreen:
I've heard amazing things about strymon stuff. On a related note, I got a tech support response from TC electronic back in less than 4 hours, and I sent it during the day, central standard time. They are in Norway. Must have been working the night shift.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:37 am

Yeah, Eventide is awesome, too. They replaced one of my Space pedals when it was on the fritz. No questions asked, they sent me the return box and stuff, then sent me a new one. They took my call and hooked it up.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:23 pm

I just got my EHX Bass Soul Food overdrive. It really is as transparent as they say it is. Sounds great for basic overdrive (as opposed to fuzz or distortion) and keeps as much of your original tone without getting muddy. It has a blend knob, which is essential for synths, and a "treble" knob which is kind of like a high pass filter, but it only effects the overdriven portion of the dry/wet mix. And for $80, it's kind of a no-brainer. I would say putting one of these, and the BBE Sonic Stomp (around $65) on every synth in your studio wouldn't be overkill. Obviously you would use it on every synth every time, but I've yet to make it sound bad, and it always sounds beefy.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:35 am

jsharpphoto wrote:I just got my EHX Bass Soul Food overdrive. It really is as transparent as they say it is. Sounds great for basic overdrive (as opposed to fuzz or distortion) and keeps as much of your original tone without getting muddy. It has a blend knob, which is essential for synths, and a "treble" knob which is kind of like a high pass filter, but it only effects the overdriven portion of the dry/wet mix. And for $80, it's kind of a no-brainer. I would say putting one of these, and the BBE Sonic Stomp (around $65) on every synth in your studio wouldn't be overkill. Obviously you would use it on every synth every time, but I've yet to make it sound bad, and it always sounds beefy.
Cool! Let's hear a demo to hear how it sounds on a Voyager. :-)

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:31 am

I will record a little video tonight.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:07 pm

jsharpphoto wrote:I just got my EHX Bass Soul Food overdrive. It really is as transparent as they say it is. Sounds great for basic overdrive (as opposed to fuzz or distortion) and keeps as much of your original tone without getting muddy. It has a blend knob, which is essential for synths, and a "treble" knob which is kind of like a high pass filter, but it only effects the overdriven portion of the dry/wet mix. And for $80, it's kind of a no-brainer. I would say putting one of these, and the BBE Sonic Stomp (around $65) on every synth in your studio wouldn't be overkill. Obviously you would use it on every synth every time, but I've yet to make it sound bad, and it always sounds beefy.
list has been updated. thanks for the info. :mrgreen: