There can be only one.

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Bertotti

There can be only one.

Post by Bertotti » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:54 pm

Well I am in a predicament. I want both e sub 37 and some mother 32 but at this point it has to be one or the other. Sub37 or two or three Mother 32 keeping in mind I have a Minitaur I was thinking maybe two mother32 and the Minitaur might be a good way to go vs the sub 37 but I have joined for the sub37 since ti was a internet rumor, both sound great to me but the USB implementation int he sub 37 is pretty nice and I don't know how it is with the mothers or if it is. Any thoughts are welcome. I know it is quite subjective and nothing is cast in stone so I am not asking anyone to tell me what to do just what you would do and why. Thanks!

Honestly I have even thought of adding another Minitaur and a mother32 to my existing mother. So many choices, I get confused. Thanks!

EricK

Re: There can be only one.

Post by EricK » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:39 pm

Get the Sub 37.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:19 pm

Haven't ruled that out but I am curious as to your reasoning. Care to elaborate? Thanks for the reply! :D
I am actually leaning towards the mothers because I can get them a piece at a time, more budget friendly.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:09 am

It depends what you are really trying to accomplish.

The Sub 37 is an all-in-one synth with some great features.

A single Mother is just a SINGLE module. Yes, it can do a lot but by itself but to me it is still a module that needs to be part of a system with other modules to be really useful. It could even be an extra oscillator for a Sub 37 or other synth. But before you buy your first module, whether the Mother or something else, you should really explore all the possibilities and issues.

And finally, here is where the budget theory goes out the window. Let us know in a year how much you have spent on your modular system. :twisted:

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:04 am

To true modular is a slippery slope. Two mothers is almost as much as a sub37 which as pointed out is quite a package. They both have pluses and sadly gas dictates getting both! Funny how that works but I doubt I am the only one facing this choice. Solace in numbers? Haha thanks baldeagle your alway there with a good answer.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:55 am

I vote for the sub37 too. It's a great master controller for a lot of synth gear, and it can do more than most synthesizers, right out of the box.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:31 pm

jsharpphoto wrote:I vote for the sub37 too. It's a great master controller for a lot of synth gear, and it can do more than most synthesizers, right out of the box.

What he said!

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:51 pm

Don't get me wrong. I love both the Sub 37 and Mother-32, each for what they're great at.
But I'd go with the Sub 37 if I could only have one. (No brainer.)

Sub 37 has CC# and NRPN control (via USB or MIDI) for pretty much every knob and button on it.
M-32 has CC#1, 2, 4, 7 (choose one for Assignable Output) plus Portamento Time, Portamento ON/Off, and Sustain.

Sub 37 as 256 storable Preset locations (each with its own unique Sequence).
M-32 has zero storable Preset locations.

Sub 37 Sequence has up to 64 Steps and can store 256 Sequences.
M-32 Sequence has up to 32 Steps and can store 64 Sequences.

Sub 37 has an Arpeggiator.
M-32 does not.

Sub 37 has two LFOs with lots of waveshapes.
M-32 has one LFO with Tri or Saw.

Sub 37 has two DAHDSRs that can be modified by Velocity.
M-32 has one AD/R with a switchable S=On.

Sub 37 has 2 VCOs plus a Sub OSC.
M-32 has a single VCO.

Sub 37 has 2-note paraphony.
M-32 is monophonic.

There are, of course, things that are unique to the M-32, but I feel that none of them outweigh the above list, unless you primarily cared about it being semi-modular.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:08 pm

I think you are all right and what I love about the Minitaur, other then the tone of course, is the midi implementation.

Demon_Dan thanks for pointing that out it truly is a no brained when looked at logically. I should have read more about the mother32 that fault rests with me.

for five years I haven't gotten 150 miles in on my Buell, might be time to sell and pick up a sub!

Thanks everyone for your sincere help! I greatly appreciate it!