Synths only, No computer

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
DavyP

Synths only, No computer

Post by DavyP » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:50 am

Hi this might seem a pretty silly question to most of you but bear with me please,

I want to build a set up where I have Synths only and no computer. I have ordered a Sub 37 and 3 mother 32's to get me started. What do I need to connect all the synths and be able to sync them and get sound from all 4 simultaneously from my monitors? Previously I did this with my now sold minatuar and slim phatty and voyager via my soundcard(now broken and needing replaced) via Logic on my Imac.

Thanks in advance

noddyspuncture

Re: Synths only, No computer

Post by noddyspuncture » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:54 am

You would need a mixer...!?

Cheers,
Tom

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:55 am

You may also need MIDI manager hardware at some point if you rely on that for multiple synths.

And for updates to firmware you will still need a PC.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:03 am

A mixer for sure, unless the audio input of the M32 are sufficient with smart connections.
About MIDI, a MIDI manager as suggested by Bald Eagle will be useful for more complex situations or if you want to change the set up without touching the synths' configuration or cables. That being said, for a simple set up, I think cables and a couple of hours of settings and trials can make it.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:37 pm

I would recommend something to act as a master clock source. Like the beatstep pro, or a koma FT301. Those are very different pieces of hardware, but they can both give you clock. The beat step pro can give you a few more options for getting the most out of those mothers.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

DavyP

Post by DavyP » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:49 am

Thanks for the replies,

Just so you know your efforts were not wasted I've read up on Koma RH301 and mixers.

I really liked the look of the Koma so have ordered one. I bought it from their online store form Germany as it was on sale at a nicely discounted price. Converted form Euros to pounds and including delivery I got it for £248 so thank-you for drawing my attention to it.

As for the mixer I have had my eye on a Mackie VLZ4 for a while so I finally bit the bullet and went for a 1402 VLZ4, seemed a good price point and gives room for expansion with the extra inputs.

I am still at a loss regarding the midi control and would appreciate any pointers towards the sort of equipment that would do the job plus allow for future expansion.

Thanks

Davy

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:45 am

He's all about the synth, 'bout the synth, 'bout the synth, no computer.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:02 am

_DemonDan_ wrote:He's all about the synth, 'bout the synth, 'bout the synth, no computer.
But he said he sold his minitaur. So it's not all about that bass.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:58 am

DavyP wrote:I am still at a loss regarding the midi control and would appreciate any pointers towards the sort of equipment that would do the job plus allow for future expansion.
I use a Motu Midi Express XT for my midi connections. It has 8 input and 8 output ports. It allows you to route any synth to any other synth. Can also apply filters and custom routings. Need a PC for custom routing config but then doesn't have to stay connected.

There are less expensive ones if you don't need all the bells and whistles.

MC

Post by MC » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:13 pm

Alesis used to make a handy MIDI storage device called the Datadisk. It was a 1U rack device, floppy based and could store SYSEX. It was upgraded to the Datadisk SQ which added storage and playback of sequences, and the playback could be sync'd to MIDI clock.

I've got two of them, one for studio and one for road. No one makes anything like them today. There really needs to be something similar that works off of modern media like USB sticks or compact media.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:25 pm

MC wrote:Alesis used to make a handy MIDI storage device called the Datadisk...
No one makes anything like them today.
There really needs to be something similar that works off of modern media like USB sticks or compact media.
Line 6 made a cool 30-pin-IOS-to-MIDI In/Out connector for iPhones/iPads called the MIDI Mobilizer:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MidiMobil2

It came with a free app (MIDI Memo) that could record and play back any kind of MIDI, including SysEx Files.

I haven't seen an iOS Lightning version of this yet, but it would work with a 30-pin-to-Lightning adapter.
Or, if you have an old iPhone 4 that you're not using, you could dedicate it to recording the settings of all the musicians' MIDI gear in your band.

If you can't find a MIDI Mobilizer II, PM me as I have two of them.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

jido-genshi

Post by jido-genshi » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:45 pm

I think you and everyone else is over thinking this. There's no need for the Koma or anything else MIDI wise if you are just starting with the Sub 37 and 3 Mother-32s. Your Sub 37 will be your main MIDI control, with MIDI Out of the Sub 37 going into the MIDI In of the first Mother-32. Then it's a simple matter of using the CV Outs of the first Mother-32 to the Ins of the other two (i.e., GATE Out or ASSIGN Out to TEMPO In for MIDI Sync)... and now they will all be in sync to the Sub 37. This is my exact setup and I've posted videos here (a couple of times) on how to do that.

DavyP

Post by DavyP » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:32 am

Hi Jido, I can follow what you are saying re the connections but does that allow me individual control over each Mother 32? So if for example I had each set to a different midi channel does the set up you suggest allow the signal to bypass say the 1st and 2nd mother 32 and only play the third if I wish?

I'd also wanted to allow for a bit of expandability, I'm currently in the process of arranging for repair to my Voyager RME which I shall then include in the setup.
I'd also like to add various pedals and use my guitar with it. I perhaps should have mentioned this in the intial post.

What I was hoping to achieve was the ability to create music, with each mother playing individual parts and all synths perfectly synced whilst I have a bit of a play along with my Guitar. I want to exclude the computer as I find I then get more caught up in fiddling with logic and adding further to my array of half-finished songs. I just want to have fun playing music.

Anyway I appreciate your thoughts and am open to consider all suggestions as I have only a little bit of knowledge regarding this. I know in my head what I want to achieve I just have no idea how :D

Davy

wave100

Post by wave100 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:15 am

I think what the OP requires is a MIDI Thru box such as the Kenton Thru-5.

Disclaimer - I have no direct experience of this particular piece of equipment!

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:16 am

What sort of sequences do you want? If it's just simple lines programmed on the M-32s and you only need clock sync, buy an 84 HP skiff and add a simple clock source, clock divider and (buffered) mults.

If you want more complicated sequencing, then you'll need some sort of hardware box. There are two paradigms; step- and phrase-based

In my biased opinion, the best thing out for step sequencing is the MIDIbox SEQ v4, but it's only DIY. Now you can even expand it with a 16x16 monome-like grid with the button-LED matrix (BLM) I've just released. It's also usable as a basic MIDI file player.

There are commercial sequencers from Genox, Koma and Arturia, check if they're what you want.

If you look back a few decades, you will find many MIDI phrase recorders. Many are crap, one of the best is the Alesis MMT-8 because it will loop seamlessly and allows different song sections and part muting. There is even a sysex tool available that will convert regular MIDI files (e.g. that you initially write in a DAW) to data it can understand.