a new polyphonic Moog

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
megavoice
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: a new polyphonic Moog

Post by megavoice » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:10 pm

P.S.
OB-X and OBa:
Nowadays they can be fixed and adjusted precisely. NO fools anymore ever !
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

vinnyburns
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: a new polyphonic Moog

Post by vinnyburns » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:22 pm

megavoice wrote:P.S.
OB-X and OBa:
Nowadays they can be fixed and adjusted precisely. NO fools anymore ever !


Ha. I look forward to picking one up then.

User avatar
MC
Posts: 2882
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Secluded Tranquil Country

Re: a new polyphonic Moog

Post by MC » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:17 pm

megavoice wrote:ASTONISHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And impressioning about the SO positive feedback about the 08. You hit the target heavily.
But, MC, you`re right and wrong.
The key is, and this has been now often discussed: When the filter, exspecially 24dB, is fully open it sounds week. But that`s absolutely NO PROBLEM. The more you close, the more sound becoms fatter and fatter.
That`s the key.
That`s a worldwide common mistake that people crank up the filter and judge without going more deeply into.
If you start moving the filter with all the modulation sources, ENV, etc you`ll get head-blowing.
I don`t know what you did in that store then. :wink:


We use filters differently. I look for resonant quality and I have a couple of "acid test" patches that I dial up.

The 24dB filter wasn't bad. The 12dB filter, yuk. When in 12dB mode the resonance control seemed to have next to no effect, couldn't get any resonant color out of it.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

User avatar
MC
Posts: 2882
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Secluded Tranquil Country

Re: a new polyphonic Moog

Post by MC » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:22 pm

vinnyburns wrote:There were two OB's One was definitely an OBX-a and the other I am sure was black. Would that have been the OBX?


The video image had a clear view of the rear panel. There were CV/trigger input/output jacks where the DB37 Oberheim Interface port was on the OB-Xa/8, which positively identified it as an OB-X.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

vinnyburns
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: a new polyphonic Moog

Post by vinnyburns » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:38 pm

MC wrote:
vinnyburns wrote:There were two OB's One was definitely an OBX-a and the other I am sure was black. Would that have been the OBX?


The video image had a clear view of the rear panel. There were CV/trigger input/output jacks where the DB37 Oberheim Interface port was on the OB-Xa/8, which positively identified it as an OB-X.


Cool. Thanks for the info.
I should be seeing Darren in a few days.

megavoice
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: a new polyphonic Moog

Post by megavoice » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:37 pm

vinnyburns wrote:
megavoice wrote:P.S.
OB-X and OBa:
Nowadays they can be fixed and adjusted precisely. NO fools anymore ever !


Ha. I look forward to picking one up then.


But DON´T forget about the many parts you`ll find more and more rarely for an eventual fixing.

MC wrote:
megavoice wrote:ASTONISHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And impressioning about the SO positive feedback about the 08. You hit the target heavily.
But, MC, you`re right and wrong.
The key is, and this has been now often discussed: When the filter, exspecially 24dB, is fully open it sounds week. But that`s absolutely NO PROBLEM. The more you close, the more sound becoms fatter and fatter.
That`s the key.
That`s a worldwide common mistake that people crank up the filter and judge without going more deeply into.
If you start moving the filter with all the modulation sources, ENV, etc you`ll get head-blowing.
I don`t know what you did in that store then. :wink:


We use filters differently. I look for resonant quality and I have a couple of "acid test" patches that I dial up.

The 24dB filter wasn't bad. The 12dB filter, yuk. When in 12dB mode the resonance control seemed to have next to no effect, couldn't get any resonant color out of it.


Well, you`re right, I rarely use the 12dB, probably for the same reason, but I`ve to admit that till now I didn`t put an eye on intensively. I`m going to jump on in the next time because you made me itchy now.
On the Chroma the 12dB is pretty fine, so I`m going to compare.
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

megavoice
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: a new polyphonic Moog

Post by megavoice » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:05 pm

I`ve got more deeply into the 12dB of the 08 and in deed the Emphasis is kinda faint, but doesn`t hit me at all.
To compare with the 12dB/Emphasis of the Chroma is impossible because the Emphasis there works different.
On all Moogs and most other synths when enhancing the Emphasis all harmonics going to be more and more accentuated and the basic note will be at the same time more and more diminished.
On the Chroma, and that`s one of his great specifications the basic note will NOT be diminished the more Emphasis will be cranced up.

I spoke today to my tech in a hurry hence I cannot reproduce precisely what he explained to me of the JP8.
As for the array how the 12dB of the JP8 works, its Emphasis is also pretty faint.
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

vinnyburns
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: a new polyphonic Moog

Post by vinnyburns » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:18 pm

vinnyburns wrote:PS After Darren moved back to Manchester when Lizzy split, it was on OB-8 he bought for himself. So, although he used an OBX/OBX-a in Lizzy, we definitely had an OB-8 in Dare. I have pictures of it from the studio and the odd gig where we were still using it.


Here is the OB-8. Forgive the clothes. It was the 80's haha.
Attachments
oldham evening chronicle 85.jpg

User avatar
MRNUTTY
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 2:54 pm

Re: a new polyphonic Moog

Post by MRNUTTY » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:05 am

clothes? you mean hair don't you? :-)

looking at it again, I think both are fair game!
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
Virus C; SuperNova; Micro-Q, MicrowaveXT; Kronos; Eventide H3000, GTR4000, H8000FW, 5xH9; 2xLexicon300L; 2xKSP8, K2500; EX5

vinnyburns
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: a new polyphonic Moog

Post by vinnyburns » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:13 pm

MRNUTTY wrote:clothes? you mean hair don't you? :-)

looking at it again, I think both are fair game!

Guilty as charged lol. My mullet is truly a mullet to behold hahaha.

EricK
Posts: 5972
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:09 pm

Re: a new polyphonic Moog

Post by EricK » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:24 pm

I still don't know which one we are talking about.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://npo.networkforgood.org/Donate/Donate.aspx?npoSubscriptionId=4043

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Midiguy4u
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:07 am

Re: a new polyphonic Moog

Post by Midiguy4u » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:23 am

Of course, most of use would LOVE to see some sort of a re-issue of the Memory Moog. Thats a no-brainer. Yes, given the "boutique" cost of Moog products in the most general sense ( ...and NO! This is NOT any type of complaint/criticism on their pricing) I expect a the price for a poly to be at least 5K. But is that REALLY expensive? If you look at the list prices of poly-analogs from the late 70's and 80's you will see many units above the 5k line and that was based on THAT era's pricing format. Moog isn't going to make a modeler or PCM-based unit, Its going to be "real" and guess what folks; REAL cost real dollars especially from a boutique company which Moog-Music IS. Remember, there's nothing preventing you from recording one note of a chord at a time, the way we ALL had to do back when, due to tech limitations. Poly, in this particular instance, is a convenience and perhaps even a luxury. Its not assumed available on a purely analog level, if you take my meaning.
Moog System 55 with controller.Synthesizers Studio System 110 with controller, Voyager XL, (9) Moogerfoogers,(3) Mothers, (2)500-series Ladder filters, (2) 500-series analog delays. [img]fullmodular.jpg[/img]

Post Reply