Moog for Electronic Body Music

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
lastsystem

Moog for Electronic Body Music

Post by lastsystem » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:03 pm

Hi to all .

I would like to buy a Moog , but i want to know , What would be best for electronic body music?

I listen E.B.M. , Techno Industrial , Dark Electro ,Synthpop, Futurepop, etc...
I like sounds leads, saws, etc...

What do you recommend to me?

Greetings from Spain ! ;-))

jsharpphoto

Re: Moog for Electronic Body Music

Post by jsharpphoto » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:50 am

Buy whichever one you can afford. They will all help you accomplish those goals.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

lastsystem

Post by lastsystem » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:29 am

jsharpphoto wrote:Buy whichever one you can afford. They will all help you accomplish those goals.
But there will be some better than others, is it not?

that's what I want to know :(

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:00 pm

The best? Moog Voyager XL. You have 5,000 USD?

Only have 1000? Sub Phatty. 1500? Either a Sub37, or Sub Phatty and a Minitaur.

Asking a generic question about which to buy, without telling us how much money you have, is an unwise question.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:10 am

lastsystem wrote:I would like to buy a Moog , but i want to know , What would be best for electronic body music?
Check out http://www.moogmusic.com to see what the different Moogs look like and can do. If space is at a minimum the Minitaur will fit just about anywhere. If you want multiple patching capabilities then look at the Voyager XL. If you want it rack mounted then order a discontinued Voyager RME while they are still available. If you want a sequencer then look into the Sub37. It really depends on space, amount of money you have to spend, and what features you need. As far as sound, all of them will work well in any form of electronic music. Happy hunting. :)

lastsystem

Post by lastsystem » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:12 am

DonutDude wrote:
lastsystem wrote:I would like to buy a Moog , but i want to know , What would be best for electronic body music?
Check out http://www.moogmusic.com to see what the different Moogs look like and can do. If space is at a minimum the Minitaur will fit just about anywhere. If you want multiple patching capabilities then look at the Voyager XL. If you want it rack mounted then order a discontinued Voyager RME while they are still available. If you want a sequencer then look into the Sub37. It really depends on space, amount of money you have to spend, and what features you need. As far as sound, all of them will work well in any form of electronic music. Happy hunting. :)
Then , all moogs have the same effects ?, have the same oscillators ?,have the same soundbanks?

I don´t want a sequencer , I search more soundsbanks maybe but oriented to the electronic music, will be better !

But with a rack I would have or generate the same sounds that a Moog Voyager XL ??

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:20 am

All of the current Moog synths are very similar in sound, not the same, but similar. The Voyager XL, Voyager RME, and Voyager keyboard versions are internally the same (they have the same internal components). Little Phatty and Slim Phatty are the same internally. Sub Phatty and Sub37 are similar but a little bit different. Minitaur has a limited range - it only operates in the lower frequencies. Soundbanks are different in all of them and not really of much importance to people who buy a Moog. There are no built-in effects in any of the current Moog synths.

It is impossible to recommend the best Moog for you because we don't know what you want. It is like asking what is the best Mazda car? Well, do you want the Mazda with the best gas mileage, or the fastest one, or the most comfortable? Try and explain in more depth what sounds you are looking for and/or what expansion capabilities you need and we will be able to help you out better.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:58 am

i Hola compañero, bienvenido en el foro !

As said before, you’ll have to explain more accurately what you’re after, how are you planning to use the future synth: no integrated sequencer means external sequencer? Played with a keyboard? What size, if so? Do you need CV expansion possibilities or not? Do you need to carry it around often? Etc.

For now, the only clue we have is you want to make leads with it. The Minitaur (and Taurus 3 for that matters) won’t go as far as the other Moog in the octaves. C4 is the limit. Some leads are under that limit, for sure, but well, it feels like a limitation most of the time.

BTW where in Spain are you from?

lastsystem

Post by lastsystem » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:02 am

DonutDude wrote:All of the current Moog synths are very similar in sound, not the same, but similar. The Voyager XL, Voyager RME, and Voyager keyboard versions are internally the same (they have the same internal components). Little Phatty and Slim Phatty are the same internally. Sub Phatty and Sub37 are similar but a little bit different. Minitaur has a limited range - it only operates in the lower frequencies. Soundbanks are different in all of them and not really of much importance to people who buy a Moog. There are no built-in effects in any of the current Moog synths
well , these little things I wanted to know.
Then there is no great difference between them and what varies are other aspects ( sequencer , keyboard, octaves, etc.. )
it does not? and depending on the money to spend

Is there not any effects? , nor delay or reverb ?? is strange !

lastsystem

Post by lastsystem » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:17 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:i Hola compañero, bienvenido en el foro !

As said before, you’ll have to explain more accurately what you’re after, how are you planning to use the future synth: no integrated sequencer means external sequencer? Played with a keyboard? What size, if so? Do you need CV expansion possibilities or not? Do you need to carry it around often? Etc.

For now, the only clue we have is you want to make leads with it. The Minitaur (and Taurus 3 for that matters) won’t go as far as the other Moog in the octaves. C4 is the limit. Some leads are under that limit, for sure, but well, it feels like a limitation most of the time.

BTW where in Spain are you from?
Hola compi ! ;-)

well ,I prefer more of a sound module, almost !
Maybe, It can be a modular better, i don´t know , hehehe

so I ask, for that your suggest to me

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:18 am

Okay, lastsystem I just visited your website and listened to some of your work.

Based on what I heard there I'd recommend a Sub Phatty or a Sub37 Moog synth. Your music is somewhat harsh, grating, and crushed. I think you'd like using the Multi-Drive, that only those two synths have. If you were creating smooth, creamy textures than I might recommend a Voyager. If you were concentrating on low, bass sounds then I'd suggest a Minitaur.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:58 am

So let’s start this way: a sound module. Four options then:

Werkstatt: DIY unit, very simple, but you may find it too simple. One oscillator, simple envelopes, but no compromise on the traditional Moog filter. Can go modular quite easily.

Minitaur: two oscillators (saw or square), no oscillator sync, almost-full knobbed, small footprint, great for bass duties and not so much for high leads. Will process audio thanks to an audio input. Oh: oscillators are in tune within few seconds.

Slim Phatty: the Little Phatty in a little box. Discontinued, so hurry up. Two oscillators with continuously variable waveshape, oscillator sync, Will take 30-45 minutes to warm up and get in tune, according to users (the Little Phatty will only take 5-20 minutes). Filter can use 1 to 4 poles (the Minitaur can’t do that, or can it?...) for brighter flavors. Only one modulation bus, but some tricks exist. Has an arpeggiator, if that can be a bonus. Only have 4 knobs but the interface is well thought and the instrument is really intuitive. Will process audio too. I play a Little Phatty in a band for all the basses, great. Can go quite wild with the filter overload, or smooth as a Moog. A CV output option does exist…

Voyager RME: the flagship. Discontinued too, but some may remain in stores. Three oscillators with continuously variable waveshape.Two modulation busses, fully knobbed, will process audio, no arpeggiator, 1-to-4 pole filter, can be widely CV-expanded thanks to external boxes (VX-351 and VX-352), will be in tune within 5-15 minutes.

If I was in your shoes, I would go for the Minitaur if the C4 limitation is not an issue. Otherwise, I’d choose a Slim Phatty.

lastsystem

Post by lastsystem » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:59 am

DonutDude wrote:Okay, lastsystem I just visited your website and listened to some of your work.

Based on what I heard there I'd recommend a Sub Phatty or a Sub37 Moog synth. Your music is somewhat harsh, grating, and crushed. I think you'd like using the Multi-Drive, that only those two synths have. If you were creating smooth, creamy textures than I might recommend a Voyager. If you were concentrating on low, bass sounds then I'd suggest a Minitaur.
stiiiiiiive wrote: If I was in your shoes, I would go for the Minitaur if the C4 limitation is not an issue. Otherwise, I’d choose a Slim Phatty.
Thanks to both !!
great answer stiiiiiiive :wink:
Now , I have more things clear

Cheers !!

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:31 am

It's not strange at all that they don't have reverb or delay. If you bought a guitar, would it come with fx built in? Everyone wants different things in terms of effects. So synth makers don't include them. Although the DSI Pro 2 does have a bucket brigade delay, it's not the same chip as the moog delays, and sounds cheap.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

lastsystem

Post by lastsystem » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:13 am

jsharpphoto wrote:It's not strange at all that they don't have reverb or delay. If you bought a guitar, would it come with fx built in? Everyone wants different things in terms of effects. So synth makers don't include them. Although the DSI Pro 2 does have a bucket brigade delay, it's not the same chip as the moog delays, and sounds cheap.
the question will be, if for moog is more expensive incorporate effects in their synthesizers | :?: