Moog for Electronic Body Music

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
jsharpphoto

Re: Moog for Electronic Body Music

Post by jsharpphoto » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:39 am

lastsystem wrote:
jsharpphoto wrote:It's not strange at all that they don't have reverb or delay. If you bought a guitar, would it come with fx built in? Everyone wants different things in terms of effects. So synth makers don't include them. Although the DSI Pro 2 does have a bucket brigade delay, it's not the same chip as the moog delays, and sounds cheap.
the question will be, if for moog is more expensive incorporate effects in their synthesizers | :?:
I know there is a language barrier, but it's hard to identify your question. Moog has delay modules in some of their modular setups, I believe. But it would be hard for me to believe that adding effects to any of their "portable" synths is a priority. They haven't done it in 50 years. Yes it would make them more expensive, but I don't think that's why they aren't doing it. The cost of developing the effects, cramming them into already cramped spaces, and most people don't know want them, because they use things like the moogerfoogers.

If on-board effects are important to you, look at Dave smith instruments, or nord. They don't have the moog sound or build quality, but they have effects.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

lastsystem

Post by lastsystem » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:56 am

jsharpphoto wrote:
lastsystem wrote:
jsharpphoto wrote:It's not strange at all that they don't have reverb or delay. If you bought a guitar, would it come with fx built in? Everyone wants different things in terms of effects. So synth makers don't include them. Although the DSI Pro 2 does have a bucket brigade delay, it's not the same chip as the moog delays, and sounds cheap.
the question will be, if for moog is more expensive incorporate effects in their synthesizers | :?:
I know there is a language barrier, but it's hard to identify your question. Moog has delay modules in some of their modular setups, I believe. But it would be hard for me to believe that adding effects to any of their "portable" synths is a priority. They haven't done it in 50 years. Yes it would make them more expensive, but I don't think that's why they aren't doing it. The cost of developing the effects, cramming them into already cramped spaces, and most people don't know want them, because they use things like the moogerfoogers.

If on-board effects are important to you, look at Dave smith instruments, or nord. They don't have the moog sound or build quality, but they have effects.
was not a question, it was more a thought
But pay 5000 Usd or Euros in a synthe ;.. no will be a serious problem to pay a little more for a small built-in effects.

I think ! :roll:

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:19 pm

I think it's a question of philosophy more than a question of cost. You can think of an instrument as a device who is self sufficient for making the maximum of your music (workstation...) or as a device that produce a particular sound to be used in your music.

For example, one can think of a guitar as an instrument, but I can also think of the guitar + the amp being the whole instrument.

In that respect, effects are not the keygrip you give as a present when someone gets your $4000 instrument. They can be processing units you choose carefully beside choosing the sound-producing unit.

I prefer buying a good cake and making my own whipped cream than getting a cake with it's own industrial, oversweet cream.

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:37 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote: I prefer buying a good cake and making my own whipped cream than getting a cake with it's own industrial, oversweet cream.
In my own personal experience I've discovered that some people prefer the taste of a plain cake donut whereas others want the one with all the sprinkles. :)

dougt

Post by dougt » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:58 am

FM (both analog and digitial) has traditionally been prominent in EBM. Not a lot of Moog although I've gotten some excellent hard-edge EBM style sounds out of my Memorymoog using it's filter FM. A Pro-One and a DX7 would be my suggestion as the perfect synths for the genre.

lastsystem

Post by lastsystem » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:54 am

dougt wrote:FM (both analog and digitial) has traditionally been prominent in EBM. Not a lot of Moog although I've gotten some excellent hard-edge EBM style sounds out of my Memorymoog using it's filter FM. A Pro-One and a DX7 would be my suggestion as the perfect synths for the genre.
Thanks dougt ! I'll remember :wink:

Although, these will be difficult to find surely.