How do you moog in bands?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
stiiiiiiive

How do you moog in bands?

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:30 pm

Hey Mooguys.

Many musician play alone in their room nowadays. The digital era allow to record an album at home (ok, I don’t want to discuss about the quality of it ;) )
I am just curious about how you guys play your Moog instruments in band context.

Hands or sequenced? Alongside what instruments? Etc.

To init the topic, here’s how I play mine.

In a rock-electro duo, my LP deal with basses with my left hand, while I play harmonic parts on a poly through a pedal board (104M inside). My mate plays guitar, and we sing together with a machine as drummer.

In my more traditional rock bands (drum bass guitar vocals keys), it serves as lead synth as well as big monophonic riff support, reinforcing bass or guitar. To do so, I use either a MF Drive or an amp sim and a delay (104Z most of the time) I play a emulation of EPs and organs aside. I sometimes bring the MG1 instead.

And in a more ambient rock project, I use the MG1 as a textural, ethereal synth, with a pedal board too. This little boy is very capable despite it seems simple…

namahshaman

Re: How do you moog in bands?

Post by namahshaman » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:17 pm

Cool topic.

Along with my Nord Electro 4D and Virus TI Snow, I use the Sub37 in a heavyish-psychedelic-progressive-post-rock 3-piece, with a drummer and a guitarist. The Sub is my go-to for anything from basslines and leads to trippy-effects and drones.

Before going into my line-mixer, I run the Sub through six minifoogers: ring mod, trem, chorus, flange, and 2 delays; and a boutique reverb pedal. Once in the mixer I have two aux-sends to play with. One goes to another FX chain: RE-20 Space Echo, MF-phaser, EHX Cathedral reverb. The other send goes to a Vox AC15 tube amp, which I use as a sort of Overdrive/tone pedal.

Once upon a time, I used a Voyager PE with 4 Moogerfoogers instead of the Sub37+minifooger setup. However, I found that for live applications, convenience prevailed.

Plus, I got to set my Voyager up with a fully patchable 8-fooger system at my home studio, so...win-win. :mrgreen:

benulous

Post by benulous » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:18 pm

I only got my voyager XL and foogers over this last year, but I had a Rogue and Model D in the past. I never actually gigged with them, however, since they were so old and temperamental (I'd go so far as say downright cantankerous). Back then, I only used the vintage synths to sample or as filters in the studio.

Oddly enough, I'm too scared to take the XL/fooger rig out for shows. It's like my baby and I see danger with every movement or dark shadow outside of its safe crib (my home studio). It would be different if I'd, instead, started with a LP or Sub37. But, I'm not complaining. I just can't justify getting another Moog Mono while I have the Nord2 and know it inside in out enough to recreate sounds that work fine for live. So, I currently use my moog rig to write demos for my band and then bring the audio stems down to the studio for further song construction.

Over the years, I've narrowed down my live, stage rig to a Nord Lead 2 and Indigo 2 (virus C). I also play bass. I already had a pedal board of all my effects before acquiring my foogers, so I never actually break out my moogerfoogers for live - BUT, I did replace my OB3 overdrive pedal with a Moog Drive! I'm still trying to fit it in the mix the way I want it, but it's better than what I was using. I would like to change out a couple of my other pedals with minifoogers (looking at the Flange and Delay and, if they had an envelope filter minifooger, I'd get that).

I could see putting together a more ambient project somewhere down the line where I could justify busting out my moog gear...that would be fun....and laborious.
-Ben
http://www.facebook.com/slowearth
http://www.slowearth.bandcamp.com
White Voyager XL, 2xM32s, Theremini, 7xMoogerfoogers, NordLead2, Access Indigo2, Eventide Space, Alesis Wedge
Bass Guitars (Moog Drive, FX25, SYB5, FX72, ODB3, Markbass Compressore)

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:03 pm

Last year, I was in a band that had recorded a lot of parts with a Voyager, and also Theremin. I used a Moog Sub37 to re-create the album parts, and also as a MIDI controller for outboard organ sounds. Heavy use of the footpedals for both Volume and Filter and with a Minifooger Delay for ambiance. Korg Triton handled a lot of the sounds, and was on loan from the original keyboardist. The songs had a lot of short hooks and synth melodies (kinda like The Cars, in that way), parts that were tailor-made for Moog sounds.

Years ago I gigged for quite a while with a Model D, and was always frustrated by its tuning issues under hot stage lights. But nothing ever compared to it tone-wise. The Sub37 was a 'no brainer' purchase for me, because it seems like the perfect 'Gig Moog'.

I always wanted to try using the Tap Tempo along with a live drummer for LFO effects, but it just never came up. Another day... 8)

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:40 pm

If you're able to enable tap tempo, here's a tip for keeping things in sync longer: select a subdivision of tempo and tap multiple. For example, instead of tapping 4th, tap whole notes and divide into 16th notes. That way you distribute inacuracy onto several bars.

Mika.900

Post by Mika.900 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:17 pm

Hi would you like to check out my music?, i am very curious over what other people think of my music is it possible to give me some feedback on my latest tracks! :)

Here is my soundcloudlink! you can also find me on spotify!
https://soundcloud.com/caladium

Thanks, Mika Blyhagen Lindroos :D

MC

Post by MC » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Skip to 4:15. You're hearing Memorymoog, OBX, Andromeda, and Kurzweil 1000 series ROMpler modules. The door creaking is playback from FOH, everything else is played live no sequences. Also triggering some parts from my T3 using my feet (out of sight to my left). Then at 8:33 I use the Memorymoog for an explosion effect of the wall falling down. Many people - who cannot see me as the band is behind the fully erected wall - thought that song was played back from CD. That was a big compliment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY8dpScx7vY
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

drcarver

Post by drcarver » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:54 pm

Here's my setup for my jazz/fusion trio gig

New album available!

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/chriscarver

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:42 pm

I don't have any music to post yet but I have formed a band around my sub 37 and we only play live experimental and improvisational music along with some folk and old time gospel tunes and a bunch of songs I've written in that genre. We often come out of chaos with the sub 37 laying down thick bassy improvisational drones and such and everyone else playing along until we end up "accidentally" coming into some bass line or rhythm guitar melody, or violin lead that becomes a song right there while we play! The arrangement with violin as the lead (although all of the players lead at some point in a session) allows for the sub 37 bass to often be the instrument that is carrying and leading the whole melody. Its just wonderful and I could not be happier with this instrument.

The Sub and the violin are really something together -- a perfect match.

I play bass with the Sub 37-- it is exquisite.
Next we have an acoustic violinist.
Rhythm electric guitar, and sometimes lead on a hollow Jazz/country guitar.
Drummer on a customized world drum kit.
Another drummer on a custom kit with toms and other self made drums.

That's it so far.

One drummer will eventually be able to lead, or play melody, or play harmony on tuned drums.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:56 am

I'd be glad to see a session someday :)

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:27 pm

^^^^^^^
That is really good to hear. Can I ask what you find interesting about it? We are not very good yet. The violin player is very good, I am getting by but need lots more practice, the guitar player is also pretty good and the drummers are coming along quite nicely. It is fair so say that we still suck though but the progress is there and the commitment to practice is there also, so one day....

The main reason it is taking us so long to get good is in our approach to practice. We want to be very good at improvisation so most our our practice time goes to just doing weird and trippy, and allowing jams to emerge from that chaos and freedom-- we want to get really good at creating music in the moment. i continue to write folk songs for the band but we are putting off practicing those for now.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:03 pm

franklinstower wrote:Can I ask what you find interesting about it? We are not very good yet.
Well... I don't know, I'm curious and your line up is not so common.

Also, "good"... is a very subjective word :)

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:52 am

Mika.900, Some very cool tracks. I'm now following you on SoundCloud.

The main feedback I would offer, which is just my personal opinion, but I would recommend more of the dark ambient style and less of the techno-sounding dance style. But again, just my personal opinion.

Cheers.

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:23 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:
franklinstower wrote:Can I ask what you find interesting about it? We are not very good yet.
Well... I don't know, I'm curious and your line up is not so common.

Also, "good"... is a very subjective word :)

Ill define good as just being able to hit the right notes at the right time :lol: